1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage eSATA hot plug question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 26 Jan 2010.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

Hopefully an easy question. In order to be able to hot plug an eSATA drive, obviously the controller needs to support hot plug.

Does the external drive also need to support hot plug, or should it not matter?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Well-Known Member

*ignore*

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

The external drive shouldn't (in theory) make a difference, so long as you have the drivers installed for the chipset on your motherboard. If it still doesn't hotplug and you have the correct motherboard drivers installed, try setting the mode in the BIOS as AHCI.

m0ng0lh0rde likes this.
  4. giskard

giskard System builder

Which raises this question: if my BIOS is set to legacy IDE mode, can I then set it to AHCI without causing any problems with my existing internal SATA drives?

5. bestseany

bestseany New Member

If you're using XP, then you'll need to do a Windows repair install using the correct SATA drivers on a floppy disk.

Windows Vista or 7 will need a registry entry changing if it was installed on an IDE mode disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

What he said.

If it doesn't boot after setting to AHCI (it should boot if you have installed all correct motherboard drivers, from your manufacturer) then switch back to IDE emulation, and change the registry like he's said.

Then back to AHCI, then it'll boot up :thumb:

(Sorry took ~24hrs to reply)

Tags: