1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EU Imposes Duty on Big LCDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Dec 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

b****cks :|

how bigs the fine?

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Dec 2005
  3. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

Wow i had better sort out getting mine pretty soon, try and miss this tax

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

WTF, that is just EU trying to grab money, they've taken enough out of the British government already. And 14% on top of VAT is ridiculous. We should go back 30 years to the days where it was just no import duty within Europe, now the EU is trying to control too much, AFAIK more than what Britain signed up to in the 70's and in any of the treaties...

I'm guessing Dell monitors are made in the Tiger Economies? Which means I must get mine ASAP to save money.

However, LG screens are good and most of the LCD's in Europe are made in S. Wales, I know LG gets a massive advantage from the government with lower taxes and no land tax/rent so I do see them staying, and possibly benefiting.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

14% tariff... :eeek:

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

14 ****ing percent!?!?! :eeek:

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

HOLY ****!

8. CommanderAce

CommanderAce What's a Dremel?

ahhhhh Another good reason why I got my 32" HD TV last month! :clap: :thumb:

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

that is some serious ******** right there
    +1 reasons to stick with crt for the foreseeable future :p

10. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

As if computer hardware wasnt already enough in Europe, let alone the UK.

Any idea when this will come into play im planning to get my dell 2405fpw at the end of january

11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

%14 aswell as VAT and all the other taxes :O

*watches govenments rape wallet*

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So much to my plans to buy HD Ready stuff next year... :sigh:

13. MrWillyWonka

New policies usually start at the beginning of the year, so my guess is January 1st.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought it was ONLY a DVI tax?? That LCDs with DVI needed to be taxed, but if they had VGA or any other input then it wasnt under those conditions.

15. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

A lot of people seem to think EU policy is incredibly rigid, lets be clear on this, the EU can issue a decree and it has processess to back up its words with actions but nation states frequently drag their heels on things that they think will be unpopular. Many states have held up or just completely refused to support some legislation while at the same time supporting the EU's stance in the press. Its easy for a state to bog the implementation of a policy down in bureaucracy so I think this new policy will see a very staggered implementation, don't expect the UK government to react too quickly unless it directly benefits the economy.

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

You're thinking of the netherlands law, which eventually even went so far as to exclude true computer monitors (that could only be used for that purpose) due to all the money they ended up LOSING on the deal. :) This one is anything LCD. Besides, what LCDs don't have DVI input anymore? Even HDTVs are coming with them standard...particularly those made by Philips, one of the EU's top sellers.

Tariffs as a whole frighten me. It has been proven time and again that they don't work over the long term. In fact, it usually encourages citizens to work around them as opposed to changing buying habits...so the country imposing the tariff loses two ways (loss of the entire duty and still no sales for the companies it's trying to promote).

If you're using one on a major industry like steel or something, they're acceptable as a short-term control to save an entire market collapse. But somehow, I don't see LCDs as this big European manufacturing issue. Which makes me think they're just smelling money and seeing screen prices drop, and deciding to compensate with a nice little tariff and most of the citizens probably won't even notice the difference.

17. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Like someone said earlier, out all the member states weve put more in and what we get out is pretty much a load of crap.

Whoever signed us inot the EU should pay these taxes cause if i had my way we wouldnt be in the EU.

And on top of that i think Britain has the highest hardware equipment in europe... i might be off on that but we are sure near the top.

It just makes me look towards friends of the family hat live in the states. Order it there have it sent to them and then put in a unbranded box and sent here with no receipts and stuff.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Not exactly. All TVs imported into the EU have a 14% tax on them ALREADY which is whay, for example, a 17" LCD monitor is much cheaper than a 17" LCD TV. All this law is doing is adding the tax to LCD's that dont have a TV tuner built in, such as a monitor.

It wouldn't surprise me if LG started importing LCD kits into the UK and assembled them in Wales to avoid this tax.

19. MrWillyWonka

I think we are in the top 5, with Germany and the Netherlands, perhaps Sweden too higher than the UK in % terms.

In the actual amount, I think Germany or the UK.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Before everyone starts shouting about rip off Britian bear in mind that transportation costs and the market sizes vary greatly between countries. The reason things appear to be cheaper in America is because transportation costs are lower, the market is huge compared to the UK so you can sell more items at a reduced price and the prices quoted often do not include local sales tax.

Tags: Add Tags