1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EU Imposes Duty on Big LCDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Dec 2005.

1. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Active Member

What do you mean crt's are dying out? The only lcd I have is on my mp3 player and I've no plans to change any screens in the near future. They're much more flexible with excellent picture quality.

2. [sinz]

[sinz] New Member

Local sales tax is generally only 4-5%. Not only that but if you order online, where prices are almost always lower, and the store you order from does not have a retail location in your state, you don't pay any sales tax. What's more, EU denizens already have to deal with VAT.

I don't know how you guys deal with all that. 14% is huge and as a student of economics it boggles my mind that the EU would be so gung-ho about putting up trade barriers to products that assist in technical innovation, perhaps the most substantial source of economic growth.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Man, you guys are getting pwned with taxes left and right. I'll middle-man it for 5% and mark it as "not a LCD screen". Not to mention we pay less to start so it works out doubly cheap.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

We don't have sales tax, just VAT. Because taxes are based on the raw price of a product, 17.5% + 14% gives a stupid 31.5% tax rate on LCD's I feel sorry for any other EU country who has higher VAT plus any electronics/environment tax.

So currently, an LCD costing £300 inc VAT will now cost £342, a £3000 LCD HDTV screen will now cost a staggering £3420 which is needless to say a fecking rip off.

Is this tax plan definate, or just a consideration?

5. [sinz]

[sinz] New Member

I was just talking about the US with respect to the sales tax, saying that it wasn't much, and that VAT was a generally a lot for you Euros, so the fact that US prices don't reflect local sales tax like Da_Rude_Baboon had said doesn't make too much of a difference because prices still are a lot lower after US sales taxes are added on.

With respect to the environmental/electronics tax, I don't know if you mean that's something you actually see added to an invoice when you buy a product or not, but the way that's handled here is that the companies are generally required to pay out to the government for the negative externalities (pollution etc.) that they produce. So rather than the consumer seeing a charge for the environmental tax, the companies pay the tax then pass it off to the customer through increased prices. So while we never actually see an amount for that, we end up paying it none the less.

6. lepre

lepre Member

LOL gg EU rotfl lol

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think I'm going to stop reading the news...it just leaves you wondering why anyone bothers...how can there be so many complete and utter dip****s in the world?

Better just to accept the tax not knowing its one, then to be enraged about something as large as the EU but have zero control over it(and don't kid yourself, you have no control over it).

edit: Just read through that low quality post, and it really is very low quality, but, its as complex as my feeling towards certain orginisations go right now, so voila!

8. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

That is one h*ll of a protective tariff. I am surprised that the EU can get away with that. You guys already get ripped off by the stupids who charge britain nearly twice as much for electronics, but now you have to pay that ridiculous tax on your LCD's as well.

9. cebla

cebla New Member

Im glad im in Australia. No stupid import taxes planned for big LCDs here.

By the way Dells 2405fpw is truely an awsome monitor. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and its the best monitor I have ever used or seen

10. vts

vts New Member

what about importation to jersey....where play.com is based.....they seem to get around expensive dvds....

11. MrWillyWonka

It would certainly reduce the price because Jesey is VAT free, but it will not get around the 14% EU tax.

However, AFAIK the government of Jersey has banned any more firms from being set up in Jersey which supplies to mainland UK, in order to avoid VAT becasue the UK government is losing out.

However exisiting companies are allowed to operate, so play.com could see a chance to actually sell cheaper LCDs, in fact they could have done that ages ago.

Would be nice if they did though.

12. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I was a bit slow on the uptake of this news, but this is some serious bullcrap :miffed:

The main issue is this: how many LCDs are actually produced in the EU??

Who are they trying to protect? Without taking the time to do any research (the luxury of a forum rant rather than writing the story myself), surely a vast majority of these LCDs are made in Taiwan / China / Korea / Japan...?

This is like saying "to protect the British Mobile Phone Manufacturing Industry, we are going to slap a 14% tarrif on all phones manufactured outside Britain" completely ignoring the fact that nobody makes phones in the UK, revealing the BS behind the grab for cash.

Not happy, Jan.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

just one more thing im going to have to import from the states, a damn sight more of a pain than motherboards and graphics cards though :grr:

at least I bought a new tv a couple months ago

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Snag is, the VAT saving thing only applies to imported goods under £18 value (though Customs and Post Office (who collect any tax) usually ignore slightly higher values). A reason why DVDs usually come in individual parcels.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2005
  15. MrWillyWonka

Ah, I didn't know that. Seems we won't get cheap LCD's after all, unless they shop them in parts at < £18 each along with an instruction book on how to assemble the LCD!

16. .308AR

.308AR New Member

Sure is a good thing the EU came along...

17. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks New Member

What about Switzerland? :naughty:

Sadly I think the airport X-rays would pick up the LCD-shaped things in my suitcase... Any ideas? Eurostar maybe?

18. MrWillyWonka

Yes, that is an option, going by Eurostar via France or Holland is possible, AFAIk they don't scan suitcases etc.

However Swizterland isn't exactly the cheapest of countries, and the costs of travel with probably cost more than the extra tax you have to pay. Unless you are going on a skiing holiday there, get the screen whilst you are there!

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As a smoker, drinker, and motorist, it's a nice twist of fate to see some other commodity catch the extra tax for a change. I mean, now the community has turned smokers into social lepers, drinkers into lager-louts, and big-car motorists into dolphin-killers, the lost revenue has to come from somewhere.

Pay up, couch potatoes, or get outside more!

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Look, guys. Stop your fussing. Has anyone ever considered that in three months time the price of big LCD screens will have dropped another 15% and thus cancel the whole thing out?

I mean, you can get a 42" LCD for about 50% of what you would have paid for it last year!

Tags: Add Tags