1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European PS3 has less functionality than US, Japan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 Feb 2007.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

pre orders are going badley in the uk so far, there brand will not carry them this time. Cutting the hardware emulation apears to be some kind of hasty cost cutting mesure to cut the huge money drain the ps3 has turned out to be. All the other console manufacturers are making money per unit sold wheras sony has the most expensive and is making a loss. I think this is due to there choice of the cell chip which is not rearly suited for gaming, they would have been better going for a couple of higher clocked cores instead of a hundered slow ones as games currently aren't coaded to be so massivly paralel. I'm suprised that no one in sony saw this coming rearly as I certianly did. The company from it's PR seems to encorage arogance, so perhapse they failed to abandon the cell chip due to over confidence in how the public percives them as a company based on the performance of the previous consoles? (and thus the developers who would obidiantly learn to fully utalise 100 cores at huge expense, because of course the PS3 would be the most popular console ever!). right.

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

So are all the directors of sony just pointing guns at they're own feet, or have they pulled the trigger yet?

Bad move from sony. I already didn't like the look of the PS3 in general, this makes me even more assured that they....suck

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

4. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Is it me or does PS3 look ugly this time round anyway?

5. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

the PS3 costs €699 at the store where I work (and others stores here in the Netherlands) that would be $916.... yes this includes 19% VAT and its still ridiculous.... without the VAT.... for the same amount of money I can buy a xbox360 a Nintendo wii and even some games... and they are both backwards compatible....

what's the next move of Sony, removing the blue-ray drive and still charge the same?

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well no, it's not, it was said by them a very long time ago, in fact, back at E3 I seem to recall they were saying they would have software emulation, and people kicked up a fuss when they said it was hardware initially for some reason. Their plans for this have been public for a very long time.

To all you people complaining and wanting to import, the article is a bit misleading, this isn't just Europe, this is global, all PS3s made from now on will have software emulation, it just so happens that because Europeans had their launch delayed, they get software emulation from day one.

Hardware emulation, AFAIK, is the best you can possibly get, since you can't get better than playing a PS2 game on effectively a PS2. Software emulation always has problems, so it's not a big surprise to me that there are a lot of games that arn't compatible, and I'm assuming Sony are working on this constantly, just as MS are.

Did you expect to pay for the PS3 at roughly the same price as the yanks do? If you did you should really open your eyes and see that EVERYTHING is horribly overpriced over in the UK...EVERYTHING, including sausages, but they're a bit better cos they don't have VAT.

The early adopters in the US and Japan, for once, are people are benefiting from it.

This does seem just an excuse for more Sony bashing to me, and this time I don't think it's really deserved.

I seem to remember news a while ago from sites like play.com that they've had more pre-orders of PS3s than any other console. Which is surprising, saying for both the 360 launch and the Wii launch they were notoriously bad a fulfilling the pre-orders.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2007
  7. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I think there is something fishy about some sites claiming to have the most pre orders. The game my friend works in still haven't fulfilled all their pre orders for the PS3 yet (I think they were allocated around 50) and the other Game in town had a notice saying 19 pre orders left. The Wii which had more allocated were all snapped up by the end of the morning.

It could be a regional thing however but I don't think so.

8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I work in Blockbusters and it's the same. We're getting it from our manager, our district manager, and also the regional manager to presell PS3 consoles. We've been doing it for over a month and had only one pre-sale in our store, and in our district, the most done is 6 in a store and that's portsmouth which is a big enough place...

Basically, it's too expensive, and nobody wants it anyway...

9. TMM

TMM Modder

If the PS3 wasn't dead already before it was launched, that there was the killing blow.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

mm I was a bit skeptical myself about that news, but it is play.com, quite a lot of people buy from them, and it's a web site, so not issues about region, etc.

11. tuteja1986

tuteja1986 What's a Dremel?

Go to Playasia > buy a PS3 60GB model for $599 > pay $50 extra shipping = Happy dude but you can't play pal ps2/ps1 game ;( .

12. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

I don't really care seeing as how I live in the US, but this is pretty bad even in my opinion.

13. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Heh...and people complained about the Xbox360 not shipping with full backwards compatibility and that Sony's would be perfect...I wonder if those people are still complaining now?

Sony has just shot themselves in the foot with the PS3...again...

14. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

sony make more (ie less is taken from taxes etc) if they market the PS3 as a computing solution not just as a games platform, thats why there is a big push with linux this generation.

In all fairness, its a fact that everything costs more in Europe (just look at price differences in software if you think this is bad), and ignoring the high launch price (which will come down). The PS3 still remains the most powerful and innovative console this generation, but as everyone knows the console is nothing without content, and the only game on either the other 2 consoles which would make me think of switching is Zelda (i will buy a wii eventually to play it). Sony is using its market muscle to make sure that the most advanced technology does win this time, even though high prices to start with may disgruntle many in the end they will still be top of the tree (maybe with less market share) come next generation.

And to the guy who said Sony is the only one losing money for every console they sell, there not. Nintendo are the only ones and thats simply because there machine isn't as expensive to make (read advanced). The big difference is that Sony will basically [insert adjective] Microsoft in terms of software sales to bolster the money lost on the production of the machine.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2007
  15. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I usually like to play the Devil's Advocate around here when it comes to the PS3, as some of you might have noticed, but THIS is indefensible. Utterly ridiculous.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't really see how ZOMG LETS STICK 9 PROCESSORS IN THERE TO MAKE IT BETTAR THAN THE 360 is more innovative, again, it's also not the most powerful, it has the processing advantage over the 360, but the 360 has the memory advantage. The 360 also has a separate upscaling chip, while the PS3 has to use one of it's cell processors. The PS3 also jammed in a GFX chip when they realised their cell processors were crap as a GPU, in the eyes of developers they're about even in overall power.

I figured it was a bit of time for some tag-teaming :p

17. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Microsoft started out on a modest loss but supposedly they moved into profit per console sold some months back as the technology matured more quickly than the prices dropped.

18. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

19. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

The only thing (other than MGS4) that made me even consider the PS3, and they even found a way to mess that up. GG Sony, you idiots.

20. randosome

randosome Banned

Tags: Add Tags