1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows EVE Online Players Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RotoSequence, 10 Sep 2006.

1. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

yeah, its really easy to stay alive if you know what your doing and where not to go. Also, there are a TON of good people in this game, you just had bad luck the first time around. vasically stay out of low sec untill a: you get into a good corp/alliance that is established in low sec. b: can offord to loose what you fly c: you just want to be a pirate and grief kill people

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Hmm... Maybe I'll give it another shot during the summer

3. Gunny

Gunny What's a Dremel?

Did a bit of the Beta, then joined a month after retail.

IGN = Gunship btw.

First I started in a small corp called soltec together with a few friends from my Americas Army squad ( [SAS]_Shadows, I used to be lead admin on team warfare) anyway eve stol my lust for FPS

We then mergede into a corp called NGRU (Northern Gurilla raver Unit) - Cool name, shame about the CEO...

The I joined VOTF (This is the old Curse Alliance btw)

had some great fights with SA and lost my first Battleship, I was destroyed for days lol..

Joined Black Reign and when CA broke up, we went up north with "The Five" / ATUK and had some great battles with FE, IRON etc.

after that I created a corp called F4T4L with a good friend from Black Reign wanting to make a bigger corp. and over 6 months we passed 400 chars. around 100 R/L members and the alts I guess.

We now have our own Alliance, build and outpost and currently defending it heavely outnumbered against 5 other alliances...

Eve is like a woman, you hat-e the bit-ch, but you comming back for more..

my 2 isk....

The worst problems with eve is two fold, first the 3 chars you can have makes it far too easy to go spy on other corps, this in turn stops real new players to the game from comming out to 0.0. Second problem is that the wars are getting bigger and bigger and the servers have problems handeling it. Also with bigger numbers it comes down to the size of my fleet rather than good tactics or a good ship setup.

However its a great game and its the only one out there where you can't just respawn with all your weapons and mods intact. Dying really is not nice its a bit like dying early in counter strike and have to wait 5 minutes, just on a far bigger scale.

if your new to eve, take your time and don't go for the biggest ship, but specialice is something that you can aford to loss.

see you in space....

4. koola

koola Minimodder

That's what insurance is for :p

5. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I just quit playing EVE when I found out the devs cheat. :sigh:

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

yeah thats left an ugly taste with the player base! Cant say I blame them, esp peeps in an alliance that were hostile to BOB, IRON to name one :miffed: I think CCP need to reavaluate there policy for devs having accounts.

7. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

At the very least they needed to fire the guy that did it. All they did was ban the bloke who found out that it had been going on. That stinks in my opinion, it's an act of incredibly bad faith, and I don't trust anything about that game any longer. I certainly won't pay a sub that pays a bent devs wage.

8. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

A few questions come to mind :

In how many MMOG's cases would they admit it and do anything at all to punish the offenders rather than just ban anyone from the forums etc who even tried to mention it.

In how many MMOG's would we really care that something like that happened like we do with eve ?

In how many MMOG's would the devs not play at all and the game's development suffer massive in-your face problems for a very long time because of it ?

Its not a good thing thats happened, but I think if anything the reaction just goes to show how different eve is to other games and companies out there.

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think the critical factor is that EVE is a much higher stakes game than any of the others out there. If a WoW guild gets every member killed somehow, maybe a raid going bad, that's nothing. If an EVE corp loses a battle they will have to shoulder a collective loss worth billions of ISK. Scale that up to an alliance, for instance ASCN, and you can see that hundreds of man-hours are lost when they get taken apart.

When the stakes are that high CCP NEED to take greater pains to ensure a fairer game, or else they just aren't up to the job of running such a game. In my eyes they've showed themselves not up to it. It's ab abject lesson in keeping your dev team distanced from the game.

I'd have been willing to go back to the game if they'd fired the guy, keeping him on is unforgivable.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Thing is though its not just one guy, its a bunch. People from the dev team, the event team and the ISD team. Some of them didnt commit crimes as bad as the main guy, but still...

11. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

True. But a head rolling is the minimum I'd have expecting. To not even roll but one head? Insulting to the player base if you ask me.

12. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Well this must have all happened before my time or I just don't pay attention.

Yeah, I can agree with that one all to well. The alliance I am in, while not huge like ASCN, just lost a war in the south and we lost an outpost and almost all the corps of the alliance afterwards.

The thing I am seeing, and I am sure this is pretty much the same with all alliances, is that when I look back, none of those corps that left really did anything to help out any ways. About 98% of all the "work" with the alliance was all done by our corp (which is the main corp that started the alliance but still).

My point is, well I'm not really sure now, it late and I rambled.

I personally think the insurance system needs a rework. Like have a way to insure and fully fitted ship but that insurance would be null an void if you change the layout (like if you repackage a ship). Also I think that if you DO repackage a ship, you should get refunded the insurance you paid. And last but not least, an example: I primarily fly a helios. Now tell me, WTF is the point in insuring a ship that only cost 8-10M ISK and can only be insured for 2M and not to mention the one mod to make that ship worth while is 60-80M.

Ok i'm done.

13. Gunny

Gunny What's a Dremel?

Insurance, I don't bother, cost me more in insurance run out than when I actualy die, also as pointed out above it does not include the actual cost of the fittings to the ship. In case of a Recon or covert ops the cloaking module is 80-100mill on it's own.

If you can't aford to lose it, don't fly it....

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thread revival! Thought there was no point making a new thread.

I'm thinking about getting back into EVE again, last time I played was January last year, played for about 8 months with 2 characters, had just gotten their learning skills done and started to get them into awesome stuff like Megathrons.

My friend just started playing so I'm really tempted to re-activate all my accounts and join him. Only problem is I just realised I left the game in 0.0, Delkein to be specific D: Gonna be a right bitch to move back into secure space and join him. Oh well, I've heard they've made it so you drop out of warp right next to gates now which would make things easier.

So who else is still playing? How much has it changed in the last year?

EDIT: Although I can only seem to get logged in on one account, can't figure out the pass for my second. Tried the forgot your password link but they haven't sent an email yet and it's been like 12 hours.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2008
  15. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Hmm! I missed this thread! Been playing since March '04

Quite a lot has change politically, though most of the big alliances are still going (Goons, BoB, RA, etc).
    Easiest way to get back to empire? Move clone to an empire station, undock, right click, self destruct. Bam! Obviously don't forget to check your clone is UTD before doing that though :D
    Lots of Tech 2 stuff is cheaper due to a few new game mechanics.

Cloaking modules no longer cost 80-100 mil for a start, closer to 15 now :D

(PS You were in a BS after two months? Just er... may as well just send me all your ISK :))

16. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Good luck getting out of Deklein; Red Alliance, BoB, Iron, and a bunch of other guys are dicking around that region's general vicinity at the moment.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I kind of want to keep my ships :p

Bugger, luckily I think it's only really the second level mining barge up there for each character of any worth, I believe my thron and gallente hauler V are still in empire

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Seriously annoyed now - just had a fully kitted Raven destroy itself from a weird bug when I went to warp... And the insurance company haven't e-mailed me my fitted equipment list, so I've no idea what was fitted... (14 day free trial, haven't used my account since October) :grr:

19. koola

koola Minimodder

Funny this thread has been revived as I just stated playing again last week (14 days free trial on my suspended subscription account). I stopped play for my final year at uni as it was taking too much time. Been having fun with a mining party in low sec space ^^

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

ooo how do you get a 14 day free trial code onto a suspended account?