1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever been ripped off or tried to be? (didnt know where to put this tread)

Discussion in 'General' started by P2D, 1 Apr 2004.

1. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

yeah i wish i had a big black guy

2. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

uhh... im almost afraid to ask...

ive been playing with pc's for years, and very rarely paid more than £20 for them, i tend to inherit pc's of peeps cause they know im a Geek and trust me when i say "its brokkie, nothing you can do will make it work again, i'll give you £20 for spares" :worried:

until, that is, my grandad passes on and left me some money... so i got this machine for £480 around uhh... august last year... was i ripped off?

ECS k7s5a (elitegroup) mobo
    AMD XP 2000+
    (big-assed coolermaster heatsink/fan on top, aero 7 i think)
    512meg ddr ram
    120Gig WD Caviar Western Digital HDD (i cant remember the RPM of it off hand, but its the fast one ;) )
    Nvidia 5200 128Meg (upgraded since then to a ATI Radeon 9200 128Meg VIVO after the 5200's fan died mysteriously [i wasnt trying to mod it, honest ;) ] )
    benQ 52x24x52 CDRW
    unbranded DVD reader (but it has a shiny coolermaster frontplate that looks nice just above my cpu cooler's speed knob... im an impulse buyer ;) )
    generic winmodem
    "4 in 1" internal usb card reader (does anyone ever actually use those?)
    el cheapo webcam
    floppy drive
    generic black metal case with generic 300w psu
    cables for everything (the round sheilded uv ones)

the *biggest* monitor ive ever seen in my life: Taxan Ergovision 2040 TCO95 20" (i think its 20", it might be 21)

wireless (radio, not ir) keyboard and mouse

an SMC barricade SMC7004ABR ethernet router (for sale if anyone wants it)

oh, and the dude at the store (i know them fairly well) gave me a lift home too ;)

now, i play with pc's a lot, i just dont ever buy them (or at least, i tend to buy bits here and there to perk up peoples baby pc's) so i have to ask... was i ripped off?

3. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

wow, i think that sounds like a damned good deal :thumb:

4. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

good, i was kinda worried :D ive known the guy for ages, he is the *only* damn store for a 50 mile radius that carries 72pin ram and processors as far back as p2 (even p1's if you ask nicely for a rummage in his "stuff nobody ever needs" bin ;) ) i fix a lot of older pc's for peeps and im always needing old bits. turns out he gave me some nice new bits too then :D

5. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

^didnt notice b4 but Welcome to Bit-Tech :rock:

6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

hehe thanks, been looking around over the past few days and was somewhat inspired. never done any major mods, the most ive done is bung fans onto stuff (the ati radeon 9200 didnt have a fan on the heatsink.... dunno why, but soon sorted that (i dont think it needs one, but that doesnt mean it cant have one ;) ) ). looking forward to finding out what a dremel can do, and just how much i can do to this pc.... in very very small steps ;)

7. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Ooo man that sucks!

Can't think of anything worse that has happened to me...

8. BMCreider

BMCreider What's a Dremel?

The only PC I ever had that I didn't build was back in 1998, and it was an HP...no big rip off there.

Ever since then I've only gone to CompUSA, or Best Buy, or Fry's for parts...so you can call those high prices or what you want, but I dunno about rip offs....

Usually I get mah shizzle from newegg though, so I've never been ripped off.

9. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I bought a CD-drive at a Komplett store a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be a bulk 52x one, but when I got home, I saw there was dirt on it, and looking at the product number, it seemed as though it was a 3x... Needless to say I went back and got what I had paid for...

10. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

well, this isnt me, but it is my brother. i think he learned the bad way.

my brother also bought a dell... dude. :duh:

he got a laptop with the biggest screen possible, 512mb ddr ram, geforce2 ultra- 60gb hdd, 24x cdrw, this was back in the day, maybe like 2 or 3 years ago when laptops sucked. it was a pentium3 850mhz. this thing was quick for the first 6 months maybe? yea.

costed $5,000 usd AFTER TAXES AND LOANS AND CRAP

i could have bought a freaking car with that kind of money. :waah:

anyhow. now that same laptop (prolly a top of the line one today) would cost only $800usd. and 2 months after, that same laptop was only $1,500 with the advent of the pentium4, and the geforce3 and ddrpc2700 ram. basically. he got reemed. shafted, AND screwed by many different people =p.

oh well =) it also had the WORST battery life in the entire univers and weighed like 12 pounds. :jawdrop:

so hows that for a ripoff? :wallbash:

what a moron

11. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Bought my 1st PC in 98 or so. (the last comp type thing I had before that was a 48k speccy)
    Using the infamous Celeron 300A.
    Paid over £1000 for it from..........Tiny.

Got it delivered and set up - went to connect the modem..where the hell does this go??

Turned out there was no modem, just a cable. HDD supposed to be 4.3gb was only 3.2. 3 Button mouse only had 2 buttons.

I brought it back to the store I ordered it from and sat outside in my car for 40 mins or so until there were abbout 20 ppl inside (lunchtime). Stormed in straight to the desk and kicked up the BIGGEST fuss imaginable. Strangely, the shop emptied in about 30 seconds flat.
    Got an immediate refund too (even though this wasnt store policy, and normally had to go through HQ to get a refund).

bought a slightly higher spec replacement PC from Carerra (which subsequently went bankrupt, but is now active again I am glad to see as customer service and tech support was 2nd to none) including printer and scanner For £1200 including interest (1 year credit deal). Was very happy with it.

Up to this point, all I had seen/done about PCs was to read magazines for about 6 months - hadnt even used anything more advanced than a calculator since I had the speccy, and I mean NEVER, not once.

Got the PC from carerra delivered, plugged it all in, registered with an ISP, the took the whole thing apart. I mean, within 24 hours of making the biggest purchase in my life, I stripped this thing down to nothing, just a load of bits on my desk. Then put it all back together, wiped the HDD , reinstalled WIN98SE, all drivers, connected to the internet, and thought 'That was fun'. Aint bought a PC since then. Just gradually upgraded everything to where I am now. Heck, the GF even uses my original keyboard and monitor (which I reckon has about 2 weeks to live as it keeps shutting off, and going bright then dim) and I STILL use the original Floppy (with the addition of a bl00 LED).

Flymo

12. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

let's just say, that when my parents bought a piece of **** micron computer a while ago, before I was into computers, it would crash if you moved at all. We didn't know why, and they kept sending us new video cards, until finally we had our friend take a look after it died for good, and there was a loose piece of metal on the mobo that was moving when we moved, crashing the pc, and finally it scratched out enough to kill it ;)

13. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Toshiba infinion desktop... enough said... 2000 dollars in 1997. No upgradability (except to a 200 MHz MMX Xup... won't even take a NIC card... it finally blew up last week... Hmm that was fun... :hehe:

14. Phreak-Z

Phreak-Z What's a Dremel?

:clap: my first pc! :clap:

8mb shared mem graphics.. 6.3gb hdd..
    still have it.. running slackware atm. :thumb:

15. Fenriswulf

Fenriswulf What's a Dremel?

I have paid for a laptop over ebay, an alienware one, but the seller crapped out on me.

Anyone know how I can track someone down who lives in NY (Long Beach) and get my damn money back? Tried the IFCC (internet fraud complaint commission) and the NYPD cyber crimes division, but nothing has come of it.

Any help?

Fenriswulf

16. calnen

calnen moo!!

I've only ever bought one thing from overseas, and the guy ran off with my money too. :waah: Luckily it wasnt too much, but it still stings knowing there's some (probably 13-year old) in america going ha ha at the stupid english guy..

Sorry you got burnt :( What have ebay themselves said? They're meant to have a big anti-fraud thing.

17. Slink

Slink B7

'USER2'

Computer retailer in middlesbrough, first pc I ever purchased

AMD 350
    Voodoo Banshee
    64meg of ram (pc100)
    4.3 gig HD (5400rpm)
    USB 56k modem
    USB card
    14inch monitor

£950

No warrenty,

18. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

my first computer was:

a 486 DX2 66MHz
    32MB of RAM in simms :baby:
    a 2x cdrom
    2x 2GB hdds
    some mobo
    a colorado backup tape drive
    a 5.25" floppy drive :D
    a sound blaster pro

and it was all free :) (most from the US government)

I got it when I was ~5, those were good times anyone with T1 was leet, the pentium 2 was awesome, and I had access to both :D

edit: 700th post! :D

Last edited: 14 Jun 2004
  19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Never really been ripped off, though, I have ripped people off before :D

OK, first computer, it was an old AT system, pentium 1 @ 75mhz, 32mb RAM, 815mb hdd, 5x cd-rom, keyboard, mouse and 15" monitor. What I paid for it? A "working" dvd player that I had bought. heh, the story behind the dvd player. I paid for the thing, and was told it worked 100% (paid $120), got it home, bought a dvd, stuck it in, and after 5 minutes, the dvd started skipping badly. Did the same with every dvd I tried in the machine. Finaly took the player into the shop and they said the lazer was burnt out :wallbash:. So I got pissed off, and the same day I saw the computer mentioned above at a garage sale. So, and idea struck :idea: Why not do to others what has been done to me? So I smooth talk them into trading the computer for my dvd player. They bit, and I came home with a computer :D

Now, the other good time I ripped somebody off, this is a good one hehehe :D. I had a small computer repair business setup (Ted-Tech, was pretty popular), and I got commissioned by this schyster to build him a system to run his business from. He cut me a check for $500 up front, and so I went down to the local computer store and got the best system that the cash would allow (duron 1300, gigabyte mobo w/ integrated 32mb graphics, 40gig hdd, good case, good psu, 52x32x52 cd-rw, 256mb RAM, and modem). And as I was building it, an idea came to mind :idea: "I've got a half deacent system laying arround that I never use" I thought, "but yet this just kicks it's ass. Why don't I pull a quick one on this idiot?" So, I formatted my old system (500mhz amd K6-2, 128mb RAM, 20gig hdd), and reinstalled windows and just generally made it look *new*. Welp, when he came to look at his new system, he actually thought it was a good deal for what he paid for it, and even gave me a $50 tip. And the best thing of all, he went out of business before he came actualy pick up the computer, so I got to keep both systems!!! I've never felt so dirty in my life :D

20. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

<morals>
    Malfoleo

your a dirty rotten scoundrel who should be ashamed of themselves :nono:
    </morals>

<reality>
    hehe, you would be amazed at what people will pay these days for little p1/p2 systems. i can pick up a little p2 box for 15 quid, and a monitor for another 15 quid, chuck in a tenners worth of keyboard, mouse, mousemat and speakers and sell it for 150-200 as an internet ready starter pc. people who have never had a pc before and just want something "cheap" (as opposed to a 1-2k Time "deal") seem to love them, just chuck in a freebie isp disk (anything but aol, i do have *some* self respect) and they are happy as anything. they arnt ever gonna do anything more than write a few emails on it, and a gig or two of drive will last them forever. helps pay the rent :naughty: :worried:
    </reality>

<guiltless reason="self justification">
    i dont think it counts as ripping them off, cause they get what they want..... but damn they could get a lot more for their money if they shopped around instead of just jumping on the first "cheap" pc they find.
    </guiltless>

<embarressment>
    i really must stop enclosing my posts in emotional markups
    </embarressment>