1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everybody's Free (to play Doom)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by :: kna ::, 31 Aug 2004.

1. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

From the article...
    I haven't played it yet, or even seen it 'in real life' either.
    I wonder who the other 2 people are :lol:
    The only things I have seen are screenshots and the video they released ages ago. I was expecting a LOT from this game, but from what people have told me and from articles like this one, I have lowered my expectations so hopefully I will not be so let down.

2. Hepath

Hepath Member

Ok... Mr Cynical here....

A fair criticism of me is that I dont play FPS enough to warrant being a decent critic of them. I get travel sick which means that when Quake came out 5 mins gaming saw me having to lie down. This never stopped me before.... ;)

Its a first person shooter, you go into a room, kill things, move next room, rinse repeat...... what did you expect? Blood? [Silly question really!]

I too haven't seen the game in action , this is yet another game where hype seems to have been more that the sum of the total gaming experience from the reaction of posters in this forum. Add that to the assumption of the minimal spec requirements and the game just does not seem to add up when weighing cost vs enjoyment

As a genre it works... After all "Doom1" is "Doom2" is "Doom3" is ....... sheesh!

Lets face it we are getting to a stage whereby computer literate people are becoming so blase and complacent about graphics that finally gameplay is making a re-emergence as an important factor. Hussah! Who remembers System Shock? That had to be one of the best RPG/FPS games when it came out, yet its kith and kin die a death in the hyperbole that surrounds the incarnation. To be honest I've not found anything to top it.... but then I get travel sick after 5 mins ;)

I know the replies - I should see the game before I criticise. I agree. However I dont intend to criticise the game, just the fact that yet again people are suprised when a game doesn;t live up to the hype.... "same old same old"

Stu

3. SqUeD

SqUeD New Member

Okay Okay I can agree on both camps the pro- and the negative side its scary it scared the **** out of me, the sound is okay the graphics are good, it also kinda felt good to play a oldskool fps. BUT somehow it just couldn't intrest me anymore after playing about 13 lvls. **** man I even bought a x800 pro (the 8600 ultra wasn't in stock) :duh:. I think the graphics of Far Cry are much beter. ALL I'm waiting for is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HL2 But i think stalker is going to be just superb!!!!!

4. LoneArchon

LoneArchon New Member

I play doom3 for a couple of mins then stopped. I went back to ffVII :D. Its was fun for a while. Now I have CS:source Beta to keep my brain occupied till HL2. And i didn't need a new GFX Card my 9800 Pro sufficed in both just fine 70 fps in cs:source at 1024x768

5. douphus

douphus New Member

I like the game, but it would have been much much better if they had used some of the gameplay from classic FPS's such as the original Bond for N64. Now that game had pretty decent AI, they didn't have to make enemies spawn behind you just to hit you. I don't recall anytime in DOOM 3 when an IMP dove for cover. And it had what seems to be missing from almost all PC based FPS games: gameplay that encouraged precision aiming. In DOOM 3 its just point and shoot, I miss the games where you actually had to aim for headshots and sneak up on people to get one-hit kills all while using cover to avoid being hit. The monsters in DOOM3 seem to absorb your shotgun shells without so much as a wince, they just keep on coming. Boring...

6. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Member

Well, if most of you are getting bored of Doom 3 already that's good news for me. It means others like you will eventually pawn off their copy to a game re-seller (ala Game Trader) so skin-flints like me can buy it cheap and not feel as cheated. :D

It'll come to a point were someone will have to re-invent/vitalize the FPS genre. On-line/network play is all well and good, but the clincher for me is greater freedom of movement, more interaction with the environment and NPCs, and GOOD non-linear stories in future FPS. CS, GTA 3, and GTA Vice City have some of these qualities in varying degrees....and STALKER looks like it might do it too (if they ever finish it). I'm pretty much fed up with every FPS being another "pinball" find-the-blue-key-for-the-blue-door linear story b*ll*cks that lasts a few days. :wallbash: It's all wolves in sheeps' clothing! Game developers are spending far too much time on improving the graphics and game engine to ever higher standards rather than the game play and depth which never seems to change much from one FPS to the next since DOOM came out. Originallity is getting thin on the ground. Look at oldies like X-COM; poop graphics by today's standards, but buckets of game play....like fragging buildings totally flat with grenades. It ruled, and still does! :thumb:

I'm not going to hold my breath for HL 2, though seeing CS Source being played has got me going "WEEEE" like an idiot. I do hope they bundle it with HL 2. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I'm going to dig out the ol' Commodore 64 and play a little Revenge Of The Mutant Camels. :hip:

7. douphus

douphus New Member

I didn't like GTA that much, too much thinking about what I gotta do next. If I gotta think too much I might as well read a book (which I do sometimes :D ). I don't mind linear gameplay as long as its fun and presents new challenges.

8. RR5

RR5 New Member

Doom 3's main theme was scarry. If you want to silenty kill things, play games like Ghost Recon.

But that is a real vaild point, how much better would gameplay be if monsters actually "tried" not to be killed :lol:

9. eaterofpies

eaterofpies New Member

couldnt agree much more with the article i played it it was ok for 60 mins then i got bored and went and played ut2004.

The reason i got bored is quite simply its not doom. doom was mostly resonably well lit with big monsters and lots of guns and was kind of arcadey by arcadey i mean "arg big bunch of monsters! quick spray them with vast ammounts of overkilling firepower!
    That was doom it was simple . . . ok appart from when it sometimes took a while to find a key cos you were being dumb it was resonably simple.
    In the 1st hr i played doom 3 i didnt once get the chance to spray the hordes of the undead with vast ammounts of firepower infact there were no hordes to spray with bullets all i saw were a couple of zombies that decided to crawl around in the dark.

i personally wouldnt have minded a no brainer with big guns and even bigger armys of monsters yeah it would have been simple but who cares it would have at least been doom.

Before anyone says anything about the hype etc i managed to avoid all of the hype i didnt expect it to be a great game or even a good game to be honest i just didnt realise it would be this bad :(

Pies.

10. lacuna

lacuna Member

well i haven't played doom for a week now as i was on holiday, i took doom with me tho to play on my laptop. i also took farcry and C&C generals. i'd already done a few levels on my desktop and just transferred the save file across so i could carry on. but i didn't. i quickly became desensitized to the scary atmosphere and bored from lack of stimulation. as far as i can see the whole game could be the same level, it looks the same all the way so far

The AI doesn't exist. (as far as ive seen) the enemies try to kill u using the most direct route possible, the soldiers hide then shoot then hide again -its hardly unpredictable.... i was expecting enemies to find ways of getting behind me, using doors more, anything!

the game engine... as far as im aware it can't draw long distances -that rules out any free roaming. some1 already said that when u get attacked u just get bounced around the room -thats so 'realistic'.
    The game does not play not play well on low level gfx cards, the 1 in my laptop is geforce 4 420 (32mb) the frame rate is unbearable at 1024x768 and losing the effects makes it look awful. farcry however plays smoothly at 1024 with no jagged lines.

i am eagerly awaiting hl2 but i will be surprised if it plays better than its predecessor which, in my opinion, is the greatest fps ever.

Tags: Add Tags