1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics eVGA GTX 580 3 Way SLI / CP only 2 gpus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slave_Criminal, 31 Mar 2012.

1. Slave_Criminal

Slave_Criminal What's a Dremel?

I just installed a new PSU, 1000W to handle 3-Way GTX 580's. I was previously running 2 580's in SLI on the same system par the new PSU. I chuck in the third card. no dice. she won't detect. nothing wrong with cards as tested and found slot 2 expends a cool card after changing slots. all cards work slot 1/3, but two no signal to monitor, BUUUUUT!!!!

windows then tells me a low performance GPU is detected in system. I say where? i go to CP no third card only 2 GTX580 in device manager.

In MB BIOS there sits a function to set PCI-Ex Bandwidth speeds. This is what I think is wrong. I was running two 580 in first two slot no probs before upgrade with third slot for audio card, NOW, the setting I was talking about can enable x8 x8 of slot 2/3 'OR' x16 x1. NOOOW. I set to auto so windows can detect slot 3 and use x1 mode. Now when I installed 3-Way SLI I go into BIOS and the auto function I set is greyed out and cannot be changed. Is it possible windows has forgot to redetect the third slot as gpu instead of audio card??

I have worked tirelessly for last two days and nights with no answer. Can Nvidia or somebody tell me WTF is going on?? I paid thousands for my system I build over last two years now it's compltee and I get f**Cktarded by ASUS MB. Lol Please shed some light so I can see. :rock:

2. Slave_Criminal

Slave_Criminal What's a Dremel?

ok so no repsonse from ASUS support after 24 hrs. either they are ignoring me or every one of their customers registered bad products overnight! over at the nvidia forums they are on their way to let me know that my PSU isn't ouputting power from the second pci-ex cables. how would that actually happen? also it would not be safe to continue using my PSU right? either.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

What brand and model is your PSU?

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

hmm.. what motherboard is it?

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not much headroom with 1000W PSU when talking tri-sli GTX 580.

Use the old PSU to power the third GTX 580 and test this theory.

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I think it's your motherboard what motherboard is it?

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Without knowing what your motherboard and PSU are, its literally impossible to help.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wow 1000w PSU, it must be able to handle anything i throw at it. even though it only costed £70.

:wallbash:

a quality PSU is very different from a generic PSU. i spent £120 on my high quality 850w. if you spent anything less than £100 on your PSU, i'd say your PSU is not up to the task.

PSU model, 12v rail available current?
    motherboard model?

9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

although i think its a mobo issue, wuyanxu is right. a decent 1000w should set you back at least £130 imo. and when powering tri sli 580, a decent psu is what you need