1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics EVGA GTX 670 Cheesecake Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Promethus, 3 Aug 2013.

1. Promethus

Promethus Member

The Problem
    Basically the GPU is not working as it should be. Windows device manager is reporting “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)” with one of my GPUs. The monitor is also not able to run at its full resolution, and the Nvidia control panel, is reporting that I don’t have any Nvidia GPUs installed. There is no overclocking on the CPU or GPUs, and the GPUs have never been overclocked.

Solutions I Have Tried

Removing the SLI Bridge
    Removing the second GPU
    Re-installing the drivers including a clean install
    Trying different versions of the drivers
    Moving the GPU from one PCI-E slot to another
    Uninstalling the GPU from the Device Manager
    I have visually inspected the GPU and PCI-E slots and there appears to be nothing wrong, apart from the backplane being very hot, however the fan is running.

System Specs
    CPU: Intel i7 980X
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth
    GPUs: EVGA GTX 670 Cheesecake x2 in SLI

Is there anything else I can try to fix the problem, or do I have to return the GPU to EVGA?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

John

2. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Is it just the one GPU that is affected?

3. Promethus

Promethus Member

Yes, just the one GPU.

I have tried since first posting, removing the suspect GPU and installing the good one on its own, and it works perfectly.

4. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Probably best return it, It must still be in warranty

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Do they both show up in device manager, both report they are using the nvidia drivers? If not you could try installing the drivers from there choose update driver and point it to the c:\nvidia\version number driver folder and see if that helps at all. Otherwise you could try the problematic card in another system to verify it is a hardware problem if it is doing the same behavior I would say it's RMA time.

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Have you tried swapping slots? Could be am IRQ conflict, you used to be able to reset IRQs from the bios but I don't see it much nowadays on boards.

You can flash the bios that should reset the IRQs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

7. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Usually cards in SLI will share the same IRQ , as well as the PCIe slots they inhabit. Would have thought that with ACPI IRQ conflicts were a thing of the past.

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Had it the other day on my sli rig, flashed the bios which reset the IRQs and all started working fine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

9. erratum1

erratum1 New Member

Return the card I had that windows error when my 8800 died...it was artifacting like crazy then the next day windows shut it down.

Could be a fatality of the hot weather.

Also 'for the win' means it was factory overcolcked?..I don't always trust they are stable.

Edit: for the win abbreviated is censored? eg. Cheesecake

10. Promethus

Promethus Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry it has took me so long to reply, I have been busy with a big audit at work.

Yes both show up in the device manager. I cannot check whether they both are using the Nvidia drivers, until I get home on Friday, but from memory, every time I tried to access the Nvidia control panel, it reported that I did not have any Nvidia graphics cards.

Yeah, I have tried swapping the slots, but it had no effect, and I have tried re-setting the bios to the default settings, but I have not tried to flash the bios.

Sorry, when I said it had not been overclocked, I meant I had not messed with the settings, trying to overclock it myself. I hadn't even noticed that the abbreviation for "for the win" had been censored, that's just ridiculous.

Anyway I think I am just going to return the card, and see what happens.

Thanks again for all of your help.