1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards EVGA P55 Cheesecake double CPU power connector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Synay

Synay New Member

I just got myself a nice P55 EVGA ForTheWin motherboard as as a part of my 2 upgrades I'm making (i5 and i7). I noticed it has two 8-pin power connectors :eeek:
    What the heck?! My Corsair HX 850W has only one cable that ends like that. How do I connect the other one?

Help...:worried:

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

See the manual, does it 100% require both connected? Might be just to help with exxxxtreme overclocking.

3. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

just connect the 8 pin power to the 8pin socket which says 1 next to it the second one is for extreme overclocking you don't really need it tbh

4. Synay

Synay New Member

Thanks guys. Indeed, there is no need for both of them to be connected, but I do plan to overclock as far as I can. With Corsair H50 cooling unit my goal is to get stable 4GHz+. It should still take less then 300W though, right? That is how much one 8-pin connector can supply. Anyone had any experiences with how much power i7 860 oc'd to 4GHz can draw?

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Without actual knowledge on the particular board I'd still say the dual connectors are only required with LN2 and phase change. If you push 300 W into the H50, the whole pump/block is quite likely to melt.

6. Synay

Synay New Member

Thanks a lot.

Update:

If I ever need it, I just found this baby: Akasa PCI-E to ATX12V Cable Adapter.

Tags: