1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EVGA teases dual-socket LGA2011 SR-X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Feb 2012.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Yes - sort of.

Personally, it'd be for my own high end gaming/folding and SQL server machine, but I'm not even going to consider it until AFTER Xmas, to let the market settle down, and then the next-next gen gpus come out. Ideally I'll be consolidating 2 machines into 1, in a custom desk build, but that's the dream... 12 months time might be a different reality. :)

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Only thing I don't like about that board. The SATA ports.

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

instead of buying a supermicro board that runs $2.5k to $4.5k, i can get this for $600 or so for the company i work for...should be sweet...

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Gimme gimme gimme gimmie! I want them
    To release this for god's sake and the Xeon's to go with it, I even have the PSU and Case all ready for it :D

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea my MM case could take it and I have the right mobo tray as well :D But it is big 24"x24"x24"

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I liked coolermiester's SR2 stacker, if and when I get my hands on an SR2, that's what it'll be going in.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

would I spend it to shave a few minutes off a render... no... but if the difference was hours [as would be the case in a complex scene or animation], and/or it was the difference between hitting a deadline or not... then yes I'd consider it...

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Oh baby... I.. my....fffzzzgKKvrttz!

9. we1shcake

we1shcake What's a Dremel?

im fairly set for this as ive got a 1250 w psu and a elysium, shame i just bought a r4e. though i probably couldnt afford this anyway :(

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Antec P280, Lian Li ARMORSUIT PC-P80R, Lian Li PC-P80N, Lian Li PC-Z70 just to name a few.

11. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I won't be buying a Strider PSU. 80 plus silver isn't that efficient when you are using over 2 KW spread over 2 PSUs. I will be going for a pair of 80 plus platinum PSUs (I haven't decided exactly which yet). Over the lifetime of the system, that extra 8-10% efficiency will more than pay for the cost :)

Nobody is really sure yet. Some people with ES chips have stated that hey couldn't be overclocked, by bclk or multiplier. Others have claimed they can change the bclk ratio. So until we see them in the wild we won't know.

I will be using one. It'll serve two functions. First, it's an unusual setup for some extreme overclocking (I believe they can be overclocked, otherwise why would EVGA have put so much money into developing an overclockable board?). Second, it'll be a perfect folding machine, and will have the power to do anything else I ask of it.

I won't be building the system immediately on release, it'll take me a few months to buy the main parts, but I hope to have it up and running before the end of the summer (and by then there will be plenty of reports about which chips are good for overclocking).

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

How would the RAM work? one CPU gets quad core and one dual core?

And LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT!

13. debs3759

Is that what you expect it to cost? Do you have a link to back it up? It's significantly cheaper than I am expecting if that is the price :)

I'm willing to spend that much for folding. Well, sort of. It's my intention over the next couple of years to build a range of top end systems for most (all?) 64-bit x86 platforms (Intel and AMD). A lot of them will be purely for benching, but the fastest of them will be folding rigs :)

LOL, I would sell my neighbours house to build a better folding farm! Not sure that the council would be too happy though :D

14. debs3759

I have the case ready for it. Bought a Little Devil, although it's certainly not "Little" :)

15. debs3759

Both CPUs get quad-channel memory. CPU 0 gets two banks with 4 channels each, and CPU 1 gets 1 bank with 4 channels.

Who says computers have to get smaller every year? I've been looking at a Caselabs case that's big enough to sleep in (and fit 2 SR-X based systems with dozens of drives and more than enough rads for pretty much anyone). I might buy one for a later build :)

16. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Yup thats the case I have :D:thumb: Although what is this Caselabs case you speak of? I love there cases.

I've got an Enermax Platimax as I know that it can pull WAYYYYYYYYYY more than what it says on the tin under load if need's be, the 1350W unit could pull 1700W for christs sake! While remaining within ATX spec of course :D

I've got the memory for it ready as well, 2 x 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz kits :D I'm doing exactly the same as you debs and building myself like an ULTIMATE system, partially to obliterate Simon's score in Geekbench, but also to speed up my video rendering and 3d modelling work that I do :thumb:

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Wow, that's an awesome looking bit of kit.

However I vote this thread be closed before Simon sees it! :p

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I think he's busy working out how much he'd have to work/sell his soul/himself to afford one. That said; He didn't go for an SR2 system when there were boards and chips available, might be he's content with the single-CPU performance crown.

19. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

The sheer amount of want for this is incredible....

However, I've just built a watercooled FT03 system with a M4G-Z Gen3, 2500k and a 580, so no point shelling out more money :(

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

but it does have a SAS interface and two lovely well positioned sas ports - i would deffo use some fast SAS disks if I were to shell out for one of these.

Tags: Add Tags