1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Exchange Autoforward

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by planki, 6 Jan 2010.

1. planki

planki ...

Hi,

I've got an e-mail account hosted on an exchange server that i would like forwarded, however i'm not the administrator, just a user.

At the moment i've setup a rule to automatically forward the mail, which is working fine, except it adds a massive banner saying "this mail has been forwarded etc" and it also changes the "from:" address to mine so when i hit reply, i end up replying to myself. So not that ideal really!

edit: i forgot to mention, that i have also tried creating a "redirect" rule using OWA the same way i created the forward rule above, but it refuses to work whilst the forward works quite happily. no idea why that is either!

Now, i know for a fact it is possible to create a custom contact on an exchange server which contains the address i would like the e-mail forwarded to, and then point my exchange contact at that and everything gets forwarded nicely with headers intact and no banner messages.

However, i spoke to the administrators of said exchange server and they are saying that this is not possible as it's a virtual domain and therefore what i am asking cannot be done. I'm struggling with this as all the users will still be listed in active directory, a new custom contact can still be created, and you can still access the exchange properties of each user to create the forward.

I've googled around this but haven't found anything that explicitly says yes or no, any of you guys got any ideas?

Cheers!

P.s. if anybody is interested its an exchange server hosted for a school by EMBC.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2010
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

In order for the "redirect all email to" freature in OWA to work the administrator has to allow autoforwarding at the server level.
    What do you need to forward the mail for (just wondering so I can give you another way of doing it)?

3. planki

planki ...

i figured they would probably have disabled the auto redirect.

yeah, it's for my mum and she has several e-mail accounts and i just wanted to consolidate them down into her personal account for her. as a family we have a hosted zimbra server so have push e-mail on phones/outlook etc so by having her work's email forwarded to her personal account it will appear on her phone etc.

i haven't come up with any other solutions. my main query still stands though, on why it would not be possible to have a redirect on the server side just because its a virtual domain.

cheers.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

There's nothing to stop them creating a custom contact other than them not wanting to.
    It may also be part of the schools IT policy.

5. planki

planki ...

i thought as much, i would rather they stated it was their IT policies rather than trying to fob me off with excuses like a normal user!

thanks anyway.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You could probably use a pop3 connector to download her email to your server

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

What phone is your mum's? If its a blackberry can you just go on the BIS website an add an OWA link to it?

Ditto iPhone and I think Android, they both support pulling from OWA?

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

that would only work if they have enabled pop3 service on their exchange server. Where i used to work we would not allow the access or forwarding to corporate email accounts outside of our control. The school may have a similar policy in place.