1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Expansion card dimensions?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Diosjenin, 5 Nov 2008.

1. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

So I'm currently in the drafting stages of a scratch build that will not be using a motherboard tray - or anything metal at all, really. (Specific material is a secret). Between formfactors.org and a number of other scratch builds I've found online using my chosen material, I've managed to nab more or less the layout and dimensions required for motherboard screw holes and the backplate. Expansion card and bracket dimensions and retention, however, don't seem to be as widespread online.

Due to the methods I have to use to purchase the material I need, correcting any mistakes in the design process during the build itself would be a simple matter, but a very time-consuming one. Thus the drafting stages are more or less required, and ideally I want no margin of error whatsoever before moving to the actual build. I have scratch material that I could use for draft design, but that would also require my purchase of a test motherboard and at least one random test expansion card (since my current machine is a laptop and one that I'm not looking to abandon in the near future) - something I'm also looking to avoid.

Does anyone happen to know of a good resource for expansion card and bracket dimensions - especially in relation to the motherboard and backplate?

- Diosjenin -