1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Exploding PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dr_crazy, 7 Mar 2004.

1. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

(ok this was a few months ago now, but aint been on here in a while)

Was modding an old pc for my mum's company and there was an old PSU which had a switcher between 240V AC and 160V AC. Was just putting the finishing touches to the computer, put it all back together, then it didn't turn on. Looked at the back and found it was switched to 160 by mistake, and without thinking of turning off the power i switched it:

There was a flash of flame, the most outstanding CRACK you've ever heard in your life from the comptuer, profuse swearing and leaping about 2 foot into the air, from me.

Needless to say i got the fright of my life, luckily no burns (my hand was right next to the flame), and i had to buy a new PSU, but nvm. Was tres amusing!

2. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

if it was one of the old AT supplies it probably would of exploded just by setting it to 160 at least then you wouldnt have got a toasty hand :idea:

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

Ive had a PSU pop right near my hand when I was trying to get a post from my motherboard (even though there was no ram, still waiting for that) I was flipping the power switch and POP big ol spark out of the fan opening.

It was, correctly, set on 115. was kind of funny though.

4. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

One day I was futzing around with a psu with the cover off, and being stupid like I am, I put my hand on the large aluminum thinger which was apparently electrified. My guess is I recieved the full shock of the psu, but hey, im still alive *twitch twitch*

5. Jesterjedi

Jesterjedi What's a Dremel?

even bettwer than that, i was working on a brand new 550 watt psu last night, just modded the fan to a brand new blue led one, placed the psu down on the case plugged it in to give it a test slipped landed about an inch from the psu the psu slipped off the side of the case and landed on my arm next thing i new the psu went bang flames rouring from the bloody thing i lept from the floor and ran to a safe distance watching whilst my brand new psu went up in flames, all i can do now is try and run an athlon64 mobo with a 300 watt psu,

btw did i tell you the psu fried my brand new 120gb hd and brand new sony dvd rom in the process, dunno the extent of the damage to the mobo yet but i get to the main screen when i start the computer just can't get it to boot after that it just keeps restarting, ive had to put an old dvd rom in there and an old 60gb hd but still no luck, anyone know what could be up?

6. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

if it was on your a64 it could of spiked the 3.3v rail and well you know what happens to a64s when that happens...

7. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

lol, it seems like a rite of passage: thout shalt take the PSU of a PC and play with it so, and when thou least expects it, said PSU shall EXPLODE!!! BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

8. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

I accidentaly switched the PSU on my dad's PC from 220 volts (which we have in the Netherlands) to 110 Volts. An almighty crack, a spark and the smell of seriously fried electronics was the result. fortunately I only destroyed the PSU and the rest of the PC was OK. Mind U I did pull out all the plugs, except forgot that the PC itself was connected to another outlet... :lol:

Garbach

9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Wow. :eeek: Fortunatly, all I've had are majorly close calls with my Test PSU. Something that may come in handy though is this: Take the dip switch that selects the voltage, set it for what you generally have (ie: U.S. 110, Netherlands 220, or so on.) Then use a single small drop of plastic cement, CA, or Krazy Glue in one corner of the switch. That way, it'll stay set, and though it may take a little muscling to break loose, it should not get accidently switched. /me shrugs
    If you don't feel comfortable doing this, though, then by all means don't.

10. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

then i am a man as well :D
    tryed resoldering a fuse in one once, plugged it in and the fuse blew , leterally, glass al throught the PSU, guess there was a bit more wrong then just the fuse :) , brightside : got me a nice set of spare connections and a "free" 80 mm fan

11. a9on87

a9on87 ...

hehe, I remember when I switched the voltage switch on a pc last year, it shot out all the dust in my face and there was a huge spark as well. Fortunately it was only the PSU that was fried.

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

this is why i spend the extra money and buy psus with active pfc

13. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

I just "modded" my Qtec 550w PSU, but still haven't tested it yet *gulp*

I stripped all the components out of the main case, rubbed the gold shiny exterior with some fine sandpaper, and then undercoated it before spraying it with satin black paint. I also replaced the noisy red fans with some much quieter spare Coolermaster fans....

I still haven't replaced the spare generic PSU that I'm using, but I'll let you all know if my 1st PSU modding session was successful

14. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

If it hasnt blown your face off! :D

15. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

....wonder if I could find a braille keyboard somewhere... :confused:

BTW, I'm planning to swap/test the PSU on the weekend :dremel: - so if my forum replies suddenly dry up, you'll know you were right, Double_C

16. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

good luck :D

17. l'edo

l'edo What's a Dremel?

why do you all have this switchable PSU's?

I've even never seen somebody with a switchable PSU's.. except these very old ones from my first pc..

don't you got 220V in the UK and 160V in the us?

18. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

110 in the us.