1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards extended atx z77 motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urobulos, 27 Mar 2012.

1. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I'm pondering going from my i7 920 to an i5 3570K, but I browsed through the web looking at previews of the motherboards and I can see very little extended atx support. The Gigabyte G1. Sniper3 looks to be one (http://www.vortez.net/articles_page...g_z77_motherboards_pose_for_the_camera,1.html), but it looks like garbage and will probably cost an arm and a leg. I'm not sure whether I should be even looking at bigger motherboards in my price range. The Gigabyte x58UD9 was ridiculously expensive, though that was XL-ATX if memory serves, and had a ton of features I would never use. I'm wondering if we are going to see the same story with the Z77 chipset. I'm wondering, historically, were there any eATX board that were more mid range in terms of features and price? Might be even more problematic for what is the second tier of mobo chipsets, in the same way that say P55 and X58 differed.

I'm thinking about eATX since it will look better in a full tower case and the space between the triple slot cooler of my 580 and the wifi card on the UD3 is too small for my liking. So basically I'm looking at bigger mobos because they look better and have more space, rather than for extra, high end features. Probably just wishing for something that doesn't exist.

If I can't find a mobo I like, I'll probably just end up sitting this one out and waiting for Haswell. Mainly feeling the itch because of native SATAIII and USB3 support, plus after upgrading I could always donate my i7 rig to my parents who use an old, very low end Conroe based system.

edit: I had a quick look on Scan and this is a good example of what I'm looking for, but this one obviously is the good old P67 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-e-atx So it looks like it is possible to find a decent board for below 180£ which I set to myself as the maximum spend. Haven't heard anything about Asus releasing a Z77 maximus. I've only seen atx, micro atx and even a mini itx one on their product search page.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2012
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Aye, I've seen the Maximus V Formula but it's regular ATX unlike its older versions using P67. It still looks pretty good. Frankly if I'm going to buy a motherboard it will probably have to be something in red and black to go with the Direct CUII cooler on the 580 so it looks like Asus is the only likely option at the moment anyway.

One thing I need to ask you is the naming convention system you guys have for ROG because it is messing with my head. This is my understanding of it:

Intel:
    Rampage, uses the high end chipset like X58 and now X79
    Maximus, uses the mid range chipsets like P55, P67, Z68 and soon Z77

AMD
    Crosshair, only one range as far as I can tell.

Then you guys modify it with:

Gene for microATX;

Formula - originally, after looking at P67 models I thought those were eATX, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so I have no idea what this name is supposed to convey, right now I'm guessing these are supposed to be the more "normal" boards when compared to the Extreme range so they don't relate to size at all. Then again you have the mess of a P 67 Maximus IV Extreme priced like a Formula range board. Anyway, the Formula boards seem to be the only ones anywhere near my budget;

finally, Extreme which is supposed to be the most insane hardware for people trying to set benchmark records. From a quick look it seems like those are often eATX products, but these are way out of my budget, except for the EOL P67 one I linked above. I only really considered the Z77 though because of USB, PCI Express and SataIII changes.

I'm guessing you can't say anything, but what price point do you expect the Z77 Formula to sell for? Not quite the form factor I'm looking for, but it does seem to have better slot spacing than my X58UD3 and it sure as hell looks better.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2012
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry Maximus V* Formula. I've literally just held one sample going out for photography, and it's between ATX and full eATX in side - a little overhang. Waaay heavier than the M4E with its copper piping in the Fusion Thermo: feels meaty!
    Maximus IV Extreme price is like that because it's been on the market for 15 months now so it's price, so retailers want to clear stock in prep for new hardware. We obviously have no control over them as it would be against trading regulations.

ROG Naming:

Rampage - Intel high-end: X48, X58, LGA2011
    Maximus - Intel P45, P55, P67, Z68, Z77
    Crosshair - AMD chipset
    (now extinct) Striker - Nvidia chipset

GENE - mATX: two-GPU gaming with good overclocking
    Formula - ATX: many-GPU gaming/high-end overclocking blend
    Extreme - (e)ATX: extreme overclocking and benchmarking focus with many-GPU