1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Extending internal Wires

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kylelnsn, 19 Dec 2006.

1. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Hey guys im planning my next mod, and i want to make it as wire free as possible, in many cases this means i need longer wires to run down the back. so i need to know if it is possible to extend these wires:

1. All Psu Wires
    2. power Switch Wires
    3. Reset and Leds Wires
    4. Fan Wires

do you think this is possible without risk and safely, im no soldering noob and i know how to do it but is it safe? and possible, thanks Kyle :dremel:

2. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Yes it is.

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

just remember heatshrink on all joints..

4. Mod_God

Mod_God What's a Dremel?

yeah, cut-strip-solder and heat shrink all the exposed wires and it should work fine

5. g4m3rof1337

g4m3rof1337 What's a Dremel?

take pictures

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I was able to create an atx extension cable by using the atx cable off a busted psu, and the atx plug I desoldered from a fried motherboard. Just plug the atx cable into the motherboard and with a radioshack soldeirng iron torch or other such similar product heat the back of the board and solder joints till the atx plug comes off.

Then just using heat shrink tubing on all wires solder your wires to the pins on the atx plug. This way you can reuse the plug as many times as you wish, and not have to do any physical modifications to your powersupply that might void your warranty. This also works for the p4 power connector. Though extending your atx plug would work just as well if you are up to that.

Take a few pics whatever you decide to do :dremel:

7. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

the last three are easy just as every one said sure you heatshrink each joint but laos make sure that once that you got it all teh case that its easy to remove if you need to remove a fan/ change your psu it wud be bugger to do without makeing sure its removable. and with the psu use the right gauge wires iam not too sure on which ones it needs but iam sure sum1 one on here can tell ya

8. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

Anything's possible :D I went the other way and added as many wires as I could :eeek:

I made my own wiring for my wall-mounted open frame mod...

[​IMG]
    photo taken before completetion of control panel. all that hanging mess is now gone.

[​IMG]
    Detail of power connections - removed molex ends and heat-shrinked.
    Note use of only one ground - they are electrically the same, you really only need one.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2006
  9. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

well looks cool i would add abit of support for pci card so they don't fall out..
    how big is the whole thing?

10. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

so what guages of wire to i need? thanks

11. agent420

Pci cards use a drop of locktite at the ends, they are locked in place but can be removed.

Size is about 36"W x 30"H
    [​IMG]

The scrolling display shows system stats, here's a cheesey wmv vid that shows it in action...

12. agent420

I think I used 16G or 18G for the power rails and 22G for the switches and led indicators. 18G is probably fine for most applications.

13. joe-coleman

joe-coleman What's a Dremel?

Nobodies really commented on jsut how awesme that idea is!
    only question, what happens if a spider walkes across your mobo? or climbs into the PSU?

14. agent420

Instead on Millions of Instructions Per Second, my system is rated in Murdered Insects Per Second :naughty: Really, what's to prevent that from a normal pc case anyway? I've repaired people's pc's that looks like mice were living in there!

Actually, it's not that dangerous provided you practice some common sense; and it's not a high traffic area. For those that don't, they get a Darwin Award. [actually, I've got a NST Jacobs Ladder on the other side of the room - the sound of that seems to make people more cautious :hehe: ]

Last edited: 21 Dec 2006