1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Extension Cable, loss of quality?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treacles, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Treacles

Treacles Member

Im thinking of getting a decent-ish pair of headphones (Probably Senheisser around £50 or so) and want to know wether using a 2 metre 3.5mm extension cable would lessen the quality at a noticable level? Im usually a little bit away from my computer when im using it so i doubt it would reach using the attached cable.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

Just as long as it's reasonable guage wire (16-22awg), there shouldn't be any problem.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Headphone typically have a pretty long cable.

My Audio Technica has 3 meter cables which is huge (for me at least)

4. Treacles

Treacles Member

I was thinking more along the lines that, the more connections, the more interferance in the audio, rather then the actual wire lessening quality as i was going to go for as high quality a cable as i could anyway :)

In my experience they've only ever came with 1-1.5 metres :O But i generally buy quite cheap headphones anyway... I'll have a look around on the Sennheiser website to see if they show the cable lengths

5. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I don't expect any problems unless you're using crappy stuff with bad contacts... A quality cable with gold plated plugs shouldn't affect anything whatsoever.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Frankly, with a £50 pair of headphones, unless you're using an extension lead made from a piece of string, you probably wouldn't be able to notice any great difference.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Sennheiser 465HD's, out the box they came with a cable which must be around 3meters long.

8. lamboman

lamboman New Member

Just make sure that you use a decent quality cable, nothing drastically bad. As said by Flibblebot, you won't notice a massive difference.

That said, they connections are the area that are going to be the biggest changers of sound quality. So if I were you, I'd look at a new cable (and it's tidier too, of course).

9. Treacles

Treacles Member

Yeh just checked the Sennheiser website and the ones i want (HD205's) have a 3m long cable, guess i probably wont need the extension cables! (Hopefully :lol:)

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If you do buy a cable don't be a douche and buy a Monster cable. Just get a quality cable without breaking the bank

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

Sennheisers come standard with 3meter cables. If you need more your doing something badly.