1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage External Hard Drive Troubles

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by identikit, 9 Feb 2009.

1. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Right a friend recently had the USB connection on his iomega external HDD break. After buying a replacement USB connector from Maplin we tried to solder it in place but made a right meal of it. Cue buying a SATA hard drive dock.

Now when I tried to access the data on the hard drive (500Gb Seagate) when it was in the dock on my computer I simply got a 'The disk is not formatted. Would you like to format it?' error. Obviously don't want to do that and lose the data so what options are there? I tried to run GetDataBack (NTFS) but it appears the file system of the disk is FAT32.

Any ideas?

2. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

Re:Help

My friend also had the same problem with his USB it would be best to copy everything into ur computer and re format it and paste it back thats how my friend fix it :wallbash::D

3. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

Sorry my bad

My friend actually had a virus and it was diffrent subject so try reformating it still.
    :D:wallbash:

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Have you tried accessing it through internal SATA?

5. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

Maybe try booting up the drive with a different OS installed in your computer, I've had this problem with a few USB thumb drives but never had anything worth keeping to they this method out. Thankfully I haven't had this happen to my 1TB Western Digital, also now I come to think about it, why not just plug the drive in to your PC via IDE or whatever connection it has, and use it as a second drive?