1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pie_uk, 6 Jan 2007.

1. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

hey peeps, fourth topic today from me !! lol right i am after a good external hdd 250gb or 320 will be fine.

i am wanting one that i can just drag and drop my pictures music videos and games? onto.

any recomendations? i am thinking about this one >>

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=410989
    Small, simple, elegant, and very easy to use. Just plug it in, and you've got plenty of room to back up and save your valuable data, music, photos, and movies.

sounds like it would suit me.

2. cedricb

cedricb What's a Dremel?

just buy the casing and add your own HD, you'll be able to choose your HD doing this.

I recommend the Vantec enclosures

3. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

If you get a HD and a separate casing (I advise doing so) I would recommend Western Digital HDs, they are only a bit more expensive, but are very good quality and shock resistant. One of mine in an external case has been running for a good 6 months solidly with no problems.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The advantage of an all-in-one means you can RMA the whole thing, and they tend to work a little better than cheap and ****** generic boxes. Get one with a good warrenty is all I'd advise. Tim reviewed a Seagate at the beginning of December and it was pretty good, you can get it in eSATA or USB/Firewire. eSATA is definately faster and the option of both USB (for being able to use it anywhere) and eSATA (speed) would be a preference imo. I'm writing up a 160GB 2.5" external drive from Seagate as well today, it's a nice little unit. I'd have to say I prefer a 2.5" for portability but you're not going to get that kind of size.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/12/05/seagate_500gb_esata_external_hdd/1.html

Trusted Reviews generally do more nick nacks than Bit, try them.

5. Supershanks

Supershanks What's a Dremel?

Hi Pie just saw u across @xtremesystems :D
    I'm with cedricb & Confused Fishcake. IcyBox see scan make excellent enclosures. That's where my old Hard drives always go. Reckon it's cheaper enclosure is probably around £20 think last hd i got was a seagate 320gb £66
    so £86 4 a 320gb will probably be cheaper than an all in 1. Personnally i think the 1 touch backup etc., is not worth much, but some like it & pay the premium.

6. Pie_uk

you know when you guys say about enclosers like the icey box, well i dont want to do that cause it means its got a normal internal hdd, and when you go to connect it to a diff pc its not going to work?

tbh id rather get an all in one. one thats ready to go.

that seagate looks good bindibadgi but id just stick with a usb or fire wire for the simplicity

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  7. Supershanks

Huh??

It connects to the host pc using USB2/1394 or e-sata Hard Drives - External Enclosure (3.5"-5.25"/Misc)

8. Pie_uk

oh i see, i thought it would be the same story of along the lines of if you connect a pc hard drive to another pc it wont work properly. like when i changed my mobo i had to reinstall windows because all the files where "hidden"

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

dude, the external harddisks come with internal harddisks in an external case. It's exactly the same thing, just retail packaged. Download Seagate Diskwizard and use it to format the drive in windows, or, use disk management in windows but set it to a basic partition not dynamic then you can use it anywhere.

If you install an OS on it, then it'll be locked to that mobo because the drivers are loaded specifically for it. To see hidden files go to my computer - tools - folder options - show hidden files and folders and uncheck "hide protected operating system files"

10. Supershanks

There are internal connecters inside the enclosure that the hd takes power & data. u connect tthe hd to thes, screw the hd into the enclosure then put lid back on , takes only a couple of minutes. You then use the cables usually supplied too plug into any host pc. Have had 1 for around 4 years. Only thing now i am all sata so will have to get another enclosure that handles sata rather than pata. have a sata1 160gb in my case at present. As part of my upgrade may get 2x80Gb Sata 2 Hitachis which will give me 4 so i can play with various raid options. have a 250gb & 320Gb 4 data so 160gb will go into enclosure. Another enclosure option is networked. This has a lot of benefit if u have 2 or more pcs in the house can be used for music but also backup.

11. Pie_uk

oh i see, right so its only if you install an os to it that it becomes locked. !!

right so lets say i bought an icy box with a 250 gb seagate hdd, i unscrew the box and put in the drive then connect it to pc and format it using seagate diskwizard or windows disk management. but set it to basic not dynamic. ok i am with you now,

well what i can find is this >> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=420926

thats for sata and pata

but then a drive is going to cost about £50 by which time i could have bought that WD thing,

fish cake which drive is shock resistant?

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=606451

vantec does look tempting. it uses sata aswell as e sata and usb ! sweet

or as an "all in one" >>

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=433264

freecom any good? certainly sounds good

Last edited: 6 Jan 2007
  12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends what you need. If the WD thing is the same price and has the features you need, as long as the warrenty is the same as buying it separately then get that: less to pay for shipping. I like than Vantec one though, but they're always so expensive at £30. 2.5" external cases are a tenner.

I'd upload a picture for you of my external disk but my ftp is ****ed, it seems. PM me your email and ill forward it through that if you want.

13. Pie_uk

right well i can get free delivery at scan so thats not an issue.

yeah sure, pm'ed you :)

14. Supershanks

Only downer on getting a 2.5" external cases i can see is u have to buy a seperate drive, like i say i get better economy by just switching in old hd out of my pc.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, but I was upgrading my laptop anyway. A 160GB 2.5" harddisk is "only" £94 now and it's pocketable and runs entirely off USB power. It definately has its advantages.

16. Supershanks

Yes can understand in that case.

I would struggle in all honesty to think why you would install an OS on it.
    Main uses to me:-
    1) I have used it to "rescue" a partition. Used acronis rescue cd to boot from & restored the image that was sitting on the external onto the os drive.
    2) used for backup.
    3) used to move large files etc., between PCs.
    4) hold presentation data to show to a client.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh, of course. Installing an OS and using it through USB might as well set you back to have a party like it's 1999. You can get USB sticks up to 16GB now too.