1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage External HD or HDD + Enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amjedm, 18 Oct 2014.

1. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

I took delivery of a brand new Seagate 2TB Desktop drive this week and unfortunately, it failed the first test I ran (short generic).

Apart from that, the other thing was a very noticeable and annoying hum/vibration.

I'm now thinking of buying a Western Digtal desktop drive or buying a WD Green drive and an enclosure (USB 3.0 3.5" SATA HDD Hard Drive Caddy Case Enclosure)

Some advice please

Do the external WD drives suffer from this hum/vibration? Don't they get hot with a lot of use?

Would an enclosure (above one has a fan) with WD Green be a better option - this works out around £10 more expensive than option 1.

Thank you in advance.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

All of the 3.5" external hard drives I've had have been relatively noisy but the 2.5" Hard Drives are generally a lot quieter. You can put it on a foam base which will get rid of most of the vibration/resonance. These Toshiba Stor.E 2.5" drives are very quiet.

I use one of these docking stations for convenience but unless it's mounted on foam it also has a lot of resonance.

Amjedm likes this.
  3. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Thank you.

I'm going to exclude the 3.5" drives from my shortlist now.