1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HDD setup

Discussion in 'Western Digital' started by Xye, 25 Nov 2010.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

I recently Purchased a WD10EARS for use in an external HDD enclosure.

My gaming PC running windows 7 was able to view and create partitions fine, however my main computer (laptop running XP) cannot access the drive. It is able to view it in the Disk Management window but I am unable to create or even access any options relating to the disk.

I only intend to use it as a backup to store all the stuff that is clogging up my laptop.

I have tried formatting it as both NTFS and exFAT (updated XP to recognise it (supposedly)) using my gaming PC but to no avail...

I really do not know what to try next.

2. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

im guessing this is something to do with permissions when using it on the windows 7 machine.
    taking a little stab here, but worth a go, try right clicking on the folder and looking at the secuirty tab.

:)!

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think this is to do with the 4K sectors on the EARS drives.

I have not used the drives personally so I can't offer any more advice than just what I have happened to read, but I think you may need to use the WD Align tool so it can be viewed in XP.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it gives you something to google :)

4. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

i learnt something as well maybe ;) :).. interesting.