1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks External monitor - Occassionally randomly loses signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benjamyn, 2 Jan 2011.

1. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop and when I'm at home I use it like a desktop and plug it into my monitor (BenQ 2420HD) via VGA and when I want to watch a movie I plug it into my HDTV via HDMI.

But for some reason when using extrernal monitors it sometimes occasionally loses signal, it's completely random and it happens on both my monitor and HDTV with both cables so I'm not sure what's causing it.

It's really annoying if I'm watching a blu-ray movie on CoralDVD as it'll restart the movie when it happens.

Anyone got any helpful advice?

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Have you checked your Power settings in windows?

Sounds like after a certain period of inactivity, something's cutting the power to you external displays.

3. benjamyn

No nothing to do with that, it's set to never. and it's just random. while I'm browsing the net it'll do it. Very annoying

4. benjamyn

Anyone?

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Calm down.
    Have you tried to update your video drivers? Is there a possibility that your video card is overheating?

6. benjamyn

I am calm?
    Yeah I have. It's already up to date.

I did wonder that. I've got my laptop on a cooling stand now and it's less frequent so probably was that. Might have to open the lid too, to be sure.