Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by maeterlinck, 16 Jul 2003.
looks sweet , can't wait to see updates
looking really good!!
Thanks for the replies! There hopefully will be an update of sorts on it's way - I managed to get some modding done over the xmas break and am trying to find some more time this term to mod...
Erm... Watch this space!
This looks sweet!
I was actually thinking of doing this with a shuttle, but the custom made case is the way to go, I guess
looking good, when we gonna see a finished product tho?
Thanks for the bumps. I have been neglecting my thread and all will changed soon, (no really it will! )
Stay tuned for an shock horror gasp, update!
there are certain fish who can live in extreme temperatures.... forgot the name though..
hurrah! an update
..What happened to the shock horror gasp update? A year on and still nothing..
EDIT: I feel silly for reviving this now, since the poster hasn't been active since late last year. Forgive me! :/
Looking great so far!
Think you should try this http://www.coolworksinc.com/iceprobe.htm
I'm not dead - honest!
Midwinter don't feel silly for reviving - funnyly enough today I had decided to start again/finish this project. I've been at uni for the past 3 years and have had next to no time to do anything like this. What with being Chief Engineer at the uni radio station and tech dude or lots of uni events. However I've now graduated! Yay I hear you shout!
Anyways I'm going to finish and do in fact have a bit of a backlog of updates to show. I shall construct an update to show in the next few days along with (hopefully) some decent progress! I do have a few set backs though as I've upgraded my system since I made the mounting bracket for the water block - so need to find out if what I've made will work on an Althon64 socket. (Made for socket A)
PS: I've actually got to re-read my own thread as I can't remember what's happened
Congratulations on the graduation mate!
Looking forward to seeing new updates.
Welcome back maeterlinck! .
Hope to see this finished, as it looks very promising .
Wow I haven't seen this project it seems for a long time. Glad your back maeterlinck and can't wait to see some updates.
Well it's been about 2 years coming but finially I've got my finger out and am updating. And unless someone decides to employ me in the next few weeks then I will get this project done!
So what's happened since the last real update? Well I have been modding. After some long and careful thought I decided that the shell I started with was too small, I just wouldn't get the stuff in with any space to work. So bin shopping time again. Can't remember where it came from but found one the perfect size and brushed metal. For my new lid I needed a new base and decided to have it made and a sheet fabrication shop. Quick backhander to one of the workers and 3 hours later I have my new base. 2 hours later it's riveted together.
Life then stops... well it doesn't I'm at uni
Summer again, exams over, modding time:
In the few week I had between the end of my exams and the date I started my summer job, I decided to make the waterblock and the mounting for it.
I cut the top plate and the sides, tried bending the brass flat I had but it just snapped. Once all was cut I fluxed up clamped it together and turned on the blowotorch! Working round and letting it cool between sizes I was able to get a good join all the way around without melting out the othersides. Filled the wholes on the underside and soldered the barbs on to the top. Looks messy but solid as a brick! Needs to be finished.
Next the mounting. I would have liked to use the spung type clips found on lots of HSFs but I can't make these. So I went for a solid surround and used 4 bolts to hold the block in place. Lots of filling and test fitting to get in to work and be solid. It needs a little bit more work but I'm not going to do this until I've test fitted it on my current machine with is now socket 754 based not socket A. But we'll see...
Then work. Working in the theatre (Royal Albert Hall and New London Theatre) means you don't get a social life or time to mod. Plus I needed the money!
Then I finished. Bit of time, so I looked at the air exaust through the radiator. Made a spacer between the fan and the radiator to even the vacuum was more uniform across the radiator. I also started to make the back facia. Made the cutouts and got it looking good. Surface needs to be finished but the cutouts are now done. I also decided that I was going to rivet the fan grill, back facia and fan together, the the shroud and the radiator would be bolted to the other side of the fan and supported internally as well. What you can see in the picture are, power switch, water connector, IEC power, 120mm fan, 2A quickblow fuse (being safe ), water connector, multiway connector (for control and sensing).
Then term started again. Busy then I had a project of a different sort, as I built (in my back garden) a 2 tonne moveable theatre set for a production I was designing. Very fun - but it snowed...
So now we're in the present, I've been collating where I am and whats got to be done and doing some finishing work on parts that needed it. At the moment I'm working on the chassis so I can start making and mounting parts!
But that's an update for another day
Separate names with a comma.