1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme breast feeding erm wut?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GregTheRotter, 12 May 2012.

1. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Although the act of doing so is not strictly speaking illegal. Its how other people react to this that is the issue and where the Public Order Act tends to come into play.

I'm not sure this is illegal either unless the beach is privately owned, it is frowned upon as far as I am aware by the naturalist community but thats all.

I'm in complete agreement with this and I thing in part it has to do with the way younger people especially teenagers are exposed to sex through peer conversation and television. Breasts are viewed as sexual objects as that is the way they are portrayed through various forms of media and this distinction as well as a lack of decent sex education at school will mean that this "issue" will probably not change in the near to distant future.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

If I can add my opinion, I think breastfeeding should stop when the kid is able to eat what is in the spoon. Whats the point in feeding an individual that can eat by himself ? You don't see wolves breastfeeding their babies once they are able to eat meat.

Ps: About the breastfeeding in public. Now the is systems to extract milk and bottled it, I don't see the point in showing your boobs to the whole planet.... Or is that they want peoples to see it ? Look, I'm a mother !!!!

3. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

Takes ages, to be fair. It takes a half hour to get the milk out, can be more painful and if you can only afford manual then hand cramps.

oh and not to mention this extra time you have to also take to get a baby out, nevermind expressing a bottle. So if a woman is comfortable with being able to breastfeed she should be able to do it wherever in public.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

Laziness ain't an excuse.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I found mixing a small measure of freshly cooled boiled water with a predetermined number of scoops of formula made life really easy for me. My daughter ate well and is healthy, and my partner maintained her awesome physique (and with it, her mental health).

I have no objection to breastfeeding at all, even in public, but it does surprise me that more mums don't go hybrid - formula for out and about and breast at home.

Also, why am I still subscribed to this thread??

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Or... you can just allow a mother to feed her baby with the body parts that have evolved over the last 250 million years for that very specific purpose, and not let our specific cultural beliefs of the last 300 years get in the way of that.

These women are not showing their boobs; they are feeding their baby. We don't have to watch.

7. Shirty

But Nexxo, I thought the human race was only 6000 years old. Only six days younger than the earth itself. Was I wrong to assume this?

Sloth likes this.
  8. walle

walle Minimodder

My mum breastfed me until I was four. My oldest youngest sister until she was three, and my youngest sister until she was two. That said, why would you extract and bottle something which is already bottled and ready to go in the first place? The milk is also clean and at the right temperature in the breast. Why do that? Because people like you find mothers feeding their children in public offensive?

9. Nexxo

In that case, God gave Eve breasts to feed babies with. He also created humans naked --to feel ashamed of one's nakedness is the product of original sin, not God's will. To stop women from breast feeding their babies in public and feel ashamed of doing so is going against the will of God. :)

10. Shirty

I just knew you'd have a concise philosophical retort to my flippant remark, you sly old bugger :p

11. Nexxo

Boob logic defeats all other logic. :D

12. Shirty

I still consult the breast haiku thread weekly ;)

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

Where did you read that I was shocked by the act ? I sincerly don't give a flying cookie, my only concern is the practical side.

14. walle

walle Minimodder

The most practical approach would be that of breast feeding the child, an approach you found to be lazy, correct?

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

I said that it was lazy to not use extracting systems, not that the breastfeeding itself was lazy. I don't see anything practical in this, it's more on the basic side.

16. walle

walle Minimodder

I can't help you with that, but what I can say, is that the design of the system is very much on the practical side.

What's lazy about that when it's not required?

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

You never got stuck in winter traffic with an hungry kid, didn't you ?

18. walle

walle Minimodder

I actually have been stuck in winter traffic with an infant / baby, yes, and its mother was present.

I don't see how that situation would render the current system (design of the female body) as less practical.

19. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

You seem to be confusing laziness with efficiency.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't think feeling offended at breast feeding is a result of a sexually repressed society. In fact breast feeding almost instantly removes any sexiness of boobs quite quickly.

Rather, it turns them into another body part doing a body function and generally, obvious body functions are frowned upon when done in public. Such perfectly natural things as farting, peeing, pooping, excavating your nostrils, picking food from your teeth and re-ingesting the result, spitting, coughing up a big flemmer, removing mucus from the back of your nasal cavity/throat, adjusting your penis/testicles when they find themselves in an unusual position, cutting your toe nails. I think I could perform all non genital related things from that list and offend people in a restaurant.

I think also that something is perfectly natural is a bad argument for deeming it to be acceptable in a public setting. There are many perfectly natural things I could do without in a restaurant, vomiting for example.