1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows F16 dead stick landing (engine was shutdown before landing due to fault)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The problem they have here is the same that Bohemia Interactive found with Take On Helicopters - Sim Heads get annoyed because it is not a pure simulation and gamers get annoyed because it's too hard!

Developing a proper sim costs a lot of money and the mass market is on the gaming side so that's probably why there is a lack of options.

I will be taking a look at the open source Falcon project though as I really did love that game even though I was rubbish at doing the whole mission (I used the quick start and quick land a lot!).

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

http://diaspora.hard-light.net/

Based on Battlestar Galactica. The space combat is very good with stick and throttle.

Actually it was the exact opposite. They started out heavy simulations and became more and more dumbed down as the console generation took over. Ironically those dumbed down arcade shooters were far less successful than the heavy sims.

FSX still has a massive following and a big industry of 3rd party developers. Name me an arcade sim that's still going strong with a big industry emerging from it?

I played an arcade sim a few months ago on PC. Visually very impressive and about as brain-dead as a chav on stella.

3. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

The 'pressure' stick is the Saitek X65F

4. Stanley Tweedle

Aha! Yeah, I couldn't remember which one. I think the authentic Thrustmaster HOTAS win on looks and probably build quality but I've always gone Saitek for cost.

X52 Pro isn't expensive.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well, I just bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, which is replacing a pretty terrible Saitek stick. Only thing I need now is a decent set of pedals.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Nice. I guess that Warthog hotas is quite heavy and solid?

Well supported with FW updates too?

FW updates are something you never get with Saitek. Also the Saitek editor makes the X52 crash in BF3. Uninstall the editor and the X52 is perfectly stable.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No idea, it hasn't arrived yet, but for the cost (and superb reviews) it should be built like a tank. It was a rush purchase as it has been heard on the grapevine that stocks of the stick are declining, with it likely to be withdrawn from the declining flight stick market - Amazon only had five left, whereas for the past year they've never indicated a stock shortage.

Pedals should be easier, I'm thinking of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Flig...TF8&colid=32ASTWK4FPG5L&coliid=I273X8KL4HQL6I

8. Stanley Tweedle

Saitek pedals. Ummm, not cheap are they!

:)

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The only other pedals worth considering are the CH ones, but they're entirely plastic. These Saitek Flight Pro ones are generally regarded as the current best (there are older Thrustmaster pedals that were better, but aren't made any more).

No, not cheap, but I always find that the cheap stuff breaks, resulting in wasted money.

10. Stanley Tweedle

Yup, I see what u mean about the CH.

Is many many years since I had a CH joystick.

CH flightstick I think.

[​IMG]

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

My main issue is how to set this all up. HOTAS shouldn't be on your desk - the stick should be between your legs, and the throttle off to the side. My desk is pretty high, so I'm slowly looking at way to solve this.

12. Stanley Tweedle

I had an old office chair... The arm rests unbolted leaving 2 metal mounts... To those I bolted flat wooden planks and then strapped the HOTAS on each arm rest.

What will you be simulating mostly? A10? I guess that's center stick isn't it. Modern jets have side-sticks though.

13. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

I bought the Warthog HOTAS a few months back - it is very solid indeed.

However, I found it didn't suit all sims (I have most of them) and I use my 'old' G940 for Take On Helicopters and the two DCS helicopters as well as FSX and FC - in fact, I only use the Warthog for the A-10C and I'm trying to set it up properly for Falcon4 BMS, but tbh the G940 was far easier to set up for that.

Having said that, it was mostly because I found the spring too strong (in the Warthog), especially as my HOTAS is mounted quite high on my desk. I have since removed the main spring (well known trick - covered on YouTube) so I will see how it is without that. The G940 will always be better for the helicopters, though, due to the excellent FFB.

I use the pedals from the G940 when I'm on the Warthog - I have them plugged in via a separate joystick controller module.

I had an X52 prior to these and I have to say, they cost more than double the X52 and they are both far better - so in that sense they are worth it. The only downer is the ancient and pretty rubbish Wingman software from Logitech - so I don't use it.

btw I bought my Warthog from OverclockersUK - it was nearly £50 cheaper than anywhere else, at £280. Make sure you do a firmware update check as soon as you have it installed ;)

sorry, I missed your post. I came across some people who use telephone tables - one at each side (as per things like the F-16 layout - not between the legs) - from Argos, but I don't have enough room for that:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6091226.htm

There are several HOTAS mods to be found around the net - try MyCockpit.org and the DCS controller forums.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2013
  14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I've thought about side tables as a solution, but I really need to have a sit down and think about the whole thing. My desk is an L-shape, which makes a table to the right awkward to say the least.

Good spot on the Warthog for £280. Going to send mine back to Amazon and save £70!

Tags: