1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "F3"-CM Scout 2 build [Completed, Again]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 17 Apr 2015.

1. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And next, STICKERS!!!!!!!! <cough,cough> I mean decals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is where Australia comes in. There was only one place I could find on the net that had the F3 decal. I'm sure I could have gotten it custom cut but these guys run a motorcycle repair shop and already had a bunch of MV replacement decals set up in their system.

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And final pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking a look at my log... Work log... Definitely meant work log.

I tried to get through it as fast as I could so I wasn't hogging up space from people who are actually doing work right now. But I'll be back soon with something new.:D

3. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

This looks amazing!

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

georgeous!!!! there MUST be second res as V2 engine cylinders!!!!!

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!

Ah man! That would have been awesome! It was hard finding things to mimic in the case but that would have been cool. It's a triple cylinder, but three res's tilted to match the rad with the tubing coming off like exhaust would have been killer! Unfortunately I'm retiring the case. I need the components for my current build and next build. But the case going to wind up on a very prominent shelf considering it was my first casemod and netted me a 2nd place finish in the tower mods of this year's Cooler Master World Series.:D

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

You say final, but I see a mouse mod...

Great case. :clap:

7. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Aaarrggg! You all are killing me! All these great ideas I missed out on. LOL! Thanks Dr C, that's an awesome idea and I never saw the potential. Maybe there will have to be a F3-V2.0...:)

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Dave's fabrication work is awesome :dremel:

9. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks Bill! I'm trying to live up to that compliment! :D

10. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Great idea and execution :clap:

11. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

So...
    As we all know...
    A case is never "done".

I had F3 set and ready to donate it's PSU to my current build and I got to thinking. I really love this case, and I didn't really do much with it as far as showing it off. It was in the CM contest, but I didn't get around to the forums til the build was almost done. And since I was going to recycle most everything out of the case for my PDXLAN build, I started wondering why not just take this case? It's unique and will definitely stand out. Plus taking my first casemod to my first LAN...priceless.

But before we can set up to take it, there are a few things I want to do to it. :D

First, we've got to clean the loop better, I was getting some sludge in my res, so bring on the hot water!
    [​IMG]

I kept running it for a few hours, changing the water out and then a rinse with distilled. Even pulled the res to clean it better. My next loop will be easier to deal with hopfully. Live and learn I guess. :p

While I was taking care of that, I started on the scary part of the upgrade(as if splashing water around electrical components wasn't a pucker moment). The first time around, I didn't put a matching cutout in the back panel like I had the front. It was extra work that I was afraid to mess up and I didn't think it would add to the case. Little did I know that the framework it hides would turn out to be one of the best features of the case. And I covered it up! :blink: I definitely have more confidence in cutting this panel now but I was dreading the possibility of having to match paint and re-order decals from AU if I screwed up or scratched something.

All taped up and laid out:
    [​IMG]

And cut out:
    [​IMG]

I filed the edges smooth before taking a silver paint pen to them, and now, I have twins:
    [​IMG]

Once I get the loop up and going and decide if I'm going to change anything else(lighting perhaps???) I'll get it put back together and get some new pics. :)

12. Zenator

Zenator Minimodder

Looks Great, very unique, Congrats. :thumb:

13. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!

14. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

After a little bit of reworking, what have we wound up with???

Since I'm all about the frame, the back panel cutout now matches the front. And yes, I was going to make an "All about the frame, no panel" joke there even though it's way too late for it to be funny. I just couldn't get it to work. You're welcome. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did this to mainly show off the acrylic frame. It was a poor decision to hide it away, and that back panel always seemed just too...much. Too big, too flat, too a lot of things, so I'm glad it's gone. Also did a little wire work and moved one of the LED strips to show off the frame a little more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to top it off, I threw in some red coolant to pick up the red in the rest of the case.

[​IMG]

With the LED's knocked down, this really goes along well with everything. Just need to top her off to get rid of that purplish bit at the top of the res.

So all in all, I think she's LAN ready. Now to figure out how to pack her to go 1900 miles and get there in one piece!

15. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Well you are interested in motorcycles so arriving at your destination in one piece clearly isn't a concern for you. :D Sorry I've heard too many stories from various friends who have work in emergency rooms.

Joking aside, the good choice opening the back up to show your motherboard support.

16. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks, I think it really finishes the build. What it should have been the first time around.

I'm all about getting there in one piece! Safety first! A few close calls, and the one involving the cow would have been ugly. :eeek: Hopefully this case will not come that close to hitting a bovine, or me either ever again.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  17. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

This is absolutely amazing! I'd be worried about dust, but with a case like this... wow XD

My personal aesthetic would've chopped it a little lower, I feel like there is slightly too much space between PSU and the bottom of the motherboard.

But everything is so perfect! The colours, the finish, the workmanship...

18. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about dust. Blow it out a lot I guess. Not too big of a deal since it wasn't really meant as a daily driver.

I hate that space too, but it's a trade off with the rake on the front of the case. I'd have preferred the top have less rake and the front to have more. Getting there would have compromised the front frame even more than I already did, though, so I went for an acceptable medium.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The exposed backside works.:D
    If you hate the space, hang 2 reservoirs in the gap.;)

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

So much for this mod being complete.