1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fable 2 Non-Gamer Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Nov 2008.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Oh, thanks.

I don't think I'll buy it though, Left4Dead is more appealing at the moment.

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

As said in the intro. For a non gamer thaose points you just asked about are non vital for the casual gamer. So while I can see your points, this was made to appeal to non gamers as well right?
    So this could potentially be the buying audience.

3. ZipD

ZipD New Member

I liked reading this 'casual gamer perspective' review. I hope bit-tech will include more of these in future reviews. You can have the hardcore reading the critical reviews and the masses reading the casual review, catering to both sides of the market. However, the casual reviewer must be a different person, if possible, for each game. Otherwise, it would be another casual turned hardcore gamer reviewer.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

In brief, my opinion is that it's very much similar to Fable 1, but bigger. The jobs you do to earn money are dull and trite, the combat isn't really all that challenging since you can't die (you just get knocked out, lose 100 XP and get up again) and can be done with button bashing (which, whatever way you look at it, removes the motivation to play tactically) and an awful lot of the game seems to be made of pointless distractions.

However, other aspects of the game - especially the sound, quest and art design are a tour de force. Some distractions may be utterly stupid and meaningless, but treasure hunting works very well as in the first one and the plot is quite interesting. The dog too is a great companion and plenty of fun.

I don't think we'll be doing a hardcore review, mainly as there isn't any need, but if I was reviewing it then it would probably be between 8 or 9, with a note about Fable 2 being a gateway game and very much "my first RPG". It's like Zelda, but British and better.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

This was an interesting twist to a review. Well written, and entering on some interesting points.
    Even though i DO tend to agree that the article could've used a shorter introduction and maybe a page of thoughts from a more seasoned reviewer.
    What with your comment here, though (Joe), i think it's the kind of game i might pick up for the missus and completely not play myself...
    besides - way too many other games that appeal to me... but it's worth a thought for the missus for xmas...

6. CardJoe

Sure, everyone is hating on me now - I'll have to kill my sister ;)

I've added a link on the first page that'll skip straight to the review for those who don't want an introduction.

7. PhenomRed

PhenomRed New Member

Great review, i'm sure i couldn't have convinced my sister to play Fable...

The part where she mentioned the female villagers being interested in her Hero got to me, ingame. Kinda disturbing to be standing in the shops and have an entourage of men saying that your quite muscular...

8. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

Hey young lady, there's enough people who enjoy a good story in a game and not just constant fighting requiring the highest of skills. Good review. :)

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

good review. i was totally expecting less insight from somebody that joe labeled as a noob, but wow... very cool.

10. CardJoe

Monkey Island, when forced onto a seven year old, can be a powerful teaching tool. ;)

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Now that video games have become mainsteam it kills all the underground followers who loved hardcore gaming. What was once considered a hobby for geeks is now a part of pop culture and because of this things have been dumbed down quite a bit. I beat 7 out of the last 9 games I bought in a weekend. The 2 games I didn't beat in a weekend are Warhammer Online and Viva Pinata 2. IMO the games of the pasted had more challenges and way way better gameplay. People IMO are more about graphics these days than gamplay. I've see stuff like this in forums ->"The story's great, the gameplay is great but since it doesn't look good I'm not going to buy it." Then you get the review groups that are basicly bribed for their reviews of **** games and then all the people that don't know better buy up the games. Oblivion blew goats and horses in the way of RPG greatness (ratings 9+). Halo is a clone of past FPSs and isn't a innovation (ratings 9+). Fallout 3 shouldn't of been turned into a FPS and is a slap to Fallout fans. (rating 9+)

COD4 was the last game I continued to play for months after beating.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  12. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

Nice review Faith.

I notice a lack of the usual typos :p maybe bit-tech should give you a job.

I did enjoy the review but have to say now I have reservations about whether to go for it or not. It's an expensive game, afterall, and I'm a poor student. Something like Fallout 3 - amazing value for money - it's sooooo good for the money I spent, hours of enjoyment left in it.

Fable seems something that will be good for an afternoon bash at a friends house, but not much more. At least from my perspective.

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That was an incredible review, great job Faith :thumb:
    It is definitely up to the standard of the rest of the bit-tech articles.

Tags: Add Tags