1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Facebook growth slows for second month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jun 2011.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

I closed my account yesterday. I found it was a distraction, and I never used it for anything other than watching other people's updates.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

I never use the thing. I don't really want to tell people my house is empty cos i'm at the shops, or away for a few weeks over the summer.

The one good thing was getting in touch with some old friends from school.

3. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

Was bound to happen eventually you will eventually run out of people who want to sign up. Maybe now at least we won't see such ridiculous valuations on how much the company would be worth on the stock market.

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Rofl, 100% agree with this. My guess is its finally slowing down because so many people already have accounts. NOT SO HIPSTER ANYMORE NOW IS IT PUNKS!

5. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Facebook is a worthless service imho as multi-protocoll messangers like Miranda in addition to skype are doing a perfect job for the last ten years allready to keep in contact with my friends.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm a huge Skype proponent, it keeps me in touch with all of my closer friends and easy to use voice chat really brings people together in way that text can't. Between that and Steam almost everyone is covered.

Facebook, however, is excellent for groups. The static nature of posts cuts out the realtime aspect of most messengers and the nature of status updates being broadcast means that every one of a person's friends can be updated at once. Got a funny video that you just know all of your friends will love? Throw it on Facebook, suddenly all of them can post and comment with each other even over the course of days.

Of course, that relies on having your actual friends as your Facebook friends. An overwhelming number of people add those who aren't their friends then moan about updates they don't care about. What do you expect?

7. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Member

I've been contemplating shutting down my account, and have all but stopped using it. It's become quite boring really. I only keep it to track who of my friends gets whatsapp so I can chat rubbish and share photos. Facebook seems to be a solo experience, you put your info up and people seem to stalk rather then comment nowadays.

8. Fordy

Fordy Member

I can't stand it - but I'm quite tied into it because so many people I know use it as their only form of communication/networking.

If I could get them all on Skype, I'd close my facebook account in a heartbeat.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Never signed up to facebook and never will.

I have no need to tell friends or strangers about my boring and rather sad life.

10. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Facebook is just as excellent for groups as mailing-lists. If I got something that I want to send to people who are currently not online anyways I simply send them a short eMail, which is then aswell static.

The biggest issue I have with a service like facebook is, that it is too damn centralized. If Zuckerberg decides tomorrow to change the EULA and remove all pictures because of copyright-infringements, then I sure doesn't want to depend on this service.

Peer-to-Peer, decentralization and open source is the way to go, which even skype and the other messanger-services do not provide us with.
    IRC for example is still my favourite, but that's apparently not fancy enough for all those hip people outthere. And for decentralized communications I simply setup a local teamspeak-server where I can aswell meet up with a few friends simultanously to talk with, which is no problem with up to 10 people if you have 1 MBit upstream, you just need to reduce the codec a little bit.

Facebook is primarily for those who feel the urge to tell the whole world what they had for dinner or whatever. Only some, maybe 5% (the professionals like copmanies etc) make real use of the network to pass worthwile information.
    Twitter is the better place for those who wan't to forward links and short bits to a broad audience actually.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Are those people stepping into the next big social web thingy I don't know about? Maybe those people are fed up with all the advertising and stupid Q&Ad things, not to mention all those ridiculous games.

That's the whole problem see. At first it was plain and simple. Put some pics in albums, connect with friends and write stuff. It's all the expansions that kills it and makes it look bloated.

12. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I do find it very useful for the Groups aspect. We can plan an outing very easily without the mess of OS, protocol and IM Program choices that plagued us using IM beforehand. We had this coming Saturdays trip sorted in less than a day, whereas it would be unlikely to catch everyone on IM to get the details sorted out in less than a fortnight.

I don't put anything up there that I don't want people to know though.

13. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Facebook is rumoured to be launching a $100billion IPO very soon. Let's hope the pension investors steer clear ...

Tags: Add Tags