1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed WU?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Acanuck, 27 May 2011.

1. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

Hi,

When using HFM to monitor my 9600GSO's folding, I notice sometimes that there's a failed WU. I was wondering what consists a failed WU?

Initially I thought it could be the overclock (shaders from ~1300MHz to ~1700MHz), but the failed WUs seem be very random. Sometimes it's 1 out of 30, other times it's 1 out of 150. Dialing down the overclock a bit doesn't appear to help things out either. I haven't yet tried at stock, since it would require quite some time to complete 150 WUs to find out. I thought it would be better to get an occasional failed work unit for a 25% increase in PPD.

Perhaps it's not that, that's why I'm asking here. The temperatures are fine (max 70C), as is the PSU I presume (800W Odin GT). The rest of the system is based around a socket 939 4800+ with a few HDDs.

It's really puzzling me why the timing of the failed WUs is so random despite there being no change to the system. :blah:

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Some units are doomed from the start, but we can't know this until they fail. See this thread.

Opinions differ as to what an acceptable failure rate is. Personally, if the failure rate is less than 1% I'm happy to let them pass.

Acanuck likes this.
  3. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link, really cleared that up.

"The Pande Group (PG) tries to keep a very low error rate (<1% of the Project) but you may occasionally get a WU that will fail."

I had no idea! I don't think I've ever encountered a failed CPU work unit which lead me to think it was GPU related problems.

Apophis54 likes this.