1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fair Use Policy

Discussion in 'Serious' started by eddtox, 28 Jun 2011.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Virgin Media 10mb "unlimited" plan capped at 2.5mb for downloading more than 3gb a day. Downloading 3gb at 10mbps takes about 40 minutes!

I intend to kick up about it. Any advice?

Anybody interested in joining a facebook campaign?

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Read the small print? Section F paragraph p states:
    So first: did Virgin notify you by email?
    If not: could the drop in speed be attributable to a technical problem?

I would check out first (politely) if Virgin did throttle your service. Then I would ask them (politely) to explain how your daily 3Gb download is detrimental to the provision of the service to other Virgin Media customers. If the explanation sounds reasonable, negotiate fair use parameters.

If they did cap your service and offered an unsatisfactory explanation, threaten to go to the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) or simply to take your custom elsewhere.

Regarding the second question: No, thanks.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
    BRAWL likes this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I really need to sort this out for my BT connection. When I first moved in I could get 800KB/s but this appears to have been limited to ~250KB/s. I think a few re-downloads of my Steam collection has triggered this.

As Nexxo points out though, this is probably covered in some small print somewhere. Bloody annoying though - a quoted rate should be regardless of usage IMHO.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Facebook campaign. There's an oxymoron.

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thanks for the replies, guys.

1.Yes, it is covered in their FUP small print (although they don't spell out how much is too much, and exactly to what extent they will hobble you).

2. Virgin did not notify me of the throttling and the first 3 customer service reps refused to admit that they were doing it (suggesting that it was a problem with my computer, or that the problem "is with upload, which is software, and we don't guarantee (???)). They also kept referring me to speedtest.net, which they obviously prioritise as it was showing 10mbps.

Finally, when I asked to be put through to retentions they admitted that I was being throttled to 2.5mbps, because I use more than 3gb a day.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

yes they do

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Busted, dude. Time to negotiate with them or leave.

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Yeah.. I'm looking at my options. 1500mb fup is taking the mickey.

11. Yorkie

Yorkie Active Member

Can't say I've noticed the Cap recently as I save all my downloads til after 9PM :/ when the peak cap no longer applies

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Well-Known Member

I very much doubt you'll get anywhere by trying to challenge it. Took me 30 seconds to find VM's traffic management policy on their website and it was clearly indicated on the product page that broadband packages are subject to both the acceptable use policy and the traffic management policy. Really don't see you've got much of a leg to stand on.

Edit: hmm, really should have checked i'd reloaded the page before responding considering most of what i've just said has already been said by others before me.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

3GB's is a fair amount of data. If you need to download more than that at a time just do it overnight and they don't mind.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

3GB isn't much with Steam involved...I did 43GB last Thursday.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

My actual downloads are negligible. We just watch a lot of stuff on iPlayer and 4OD

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

Hence the part about overnight? for big file downloads.

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Well-Known Member

Think i'd prefer to stick with my 20mb adsl which lets me download 3GB at any time of the day. Shouldn't have to wait till overnight if I want to download something big, like a game off steam.

18. The Monk

The Monk Member

Seems pretty rubbish that we are now starting to get faster internet more widely available yet we as consumers are limited to only using a small amount of data. Not really much point getting a faster internet connection if we then get throttled for using it..

19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

My thoughts exactly. As things stand you can burn through your fup allowance in less than an hour and then you're stuck on 2.5mb. It seems to me that it has more to do with upselling you to the higher tariffs that with maintaining quality of service. Especially when there is a different fup allowance for each tariff.

20. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

sky cheesecake

Never been throttled or capped, even when I put new steam on my new laptop, thats about 40 games (100 GB ish), or when I've battered iplayer-4OD-SKyplayer or stuff.