1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fake anodising - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Penrhos, 9 May 2004.

1. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I realy fancy the Zalman passive water cooller but how can I get my Lian-li to match? I dont want to paint it - I want it to look like the Zalman.

Can I use "gun-blue" or some othe dye that will stain the ali to match?

Any suggestions

2. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Duplicolor Metalcast will do the trick

3. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

why not just really anondize it? i dont know how much it would cost( hard to do on ur own) but i imagine it should be to much if you prep it all... if not then yea, duplicolor metalcast will work for you

4. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

While bona fide anodizing produces an authentic look, it costs much more than an imitation method. I've been quoted at around $50 US for jobs in the Minneapolis area, which is a decent sized city (1 million+ people) with a good lot of metal finishing shops.

5. Turbochris

Turbochris What's a Dremel?

I faked it with some majic markers and once with machinist blue

6. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

I would try the dupicolor metalcast stuff. but seriously, think about it, If you got it actually anodized, its very strong and will look damn good on a LL. and it seems like $50 isnet all that bad of a price your probly going to pay $20ish for the paint and another $10 on any paint supplies you might need.

7. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

i got some offcuts of ali, from fitting a window in friends PC60 , if I can get some "blue-metal dye" I'll try it, going to ring a couple of friends who work at local printers/newspaper for dying techniques as I think they print direct to ali-plates for local paper, so might be able to get an etched printing plate with custom artwork as well to try....As in UK I might struggle finding anodisers.

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not as simple as that. It already IS anodised. If it wasn't, your lovely new alloy case would corrode and become dull within weeks. Anodising doesn't change the colour of aluminium... it's the dying process afterwards that does. Silver alloy cases are already anodised, just not dyed. You could dye it yourself, but what the hell are you gonna use to get that electric blue colour??? Try asking a professional outfit if they can do it. I bet they can't match it precisely tho.