1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout 3 already pirated for the Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Oct 2008.

1. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Yes, I did. I know a little about xbox. Perhaps red-ring virus would be much more effective:)

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Sure. But you get an idea of the numbers.
    Dont really think that whoever pirates the X360 version uses different methods than the ones who will pirate the PC version.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Because, more often than not, reviewers get the first batch of the gold discs - i.e. it's the final release code. To do what you're suggesting might work if you only send review code out to a few reviewers, but a game like Fallout will probably be sent to a couple of hundred reviewers, and it's not feasible to produce unique discs for that many people.

Piracy is limited on consoles because AFAIK it requires the use of a mod-chip for pirated games to work - this puts the piracy out of the reach of the more casual pirate into the hardcore pirates. PC piracy is more rampant because anyone can pirate games - you don't need any special hardware mods to allow you to play pirated games on your PC.

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'll let you gents know if it's a real slice, based on the source release. It's also largely possible that this is a modified internal release, intended to brick the 360s it graces. Either way.

Also, where in the **** do you "Piracy is immoral" people get off your horse on this one? The game isn't available. ANYWHERE. It won't be available for the rest of the month. At this point, there is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000% chance of this affecting sales, provided the game isn't pants. If this thing IS real, the people playing it now will probably end up buying it later provided they like it, if for nothing other than to get back through around the bugs, as well as get the achievements (You'd be retarded to play this while connected to XBL).

So yeah, it's a DISC IMAGE. It's not like you went and punched a baby and stole his copy of fallout 3. Take the cock of the ethics crowd out of your mouths, and maybe discuss a relevant issue for once, please?

Edit: Fibble - modding a 360 is actually far simpler than a chip; at the current time provided you have a compatible DVD drive, it just requires a special SATA card, a torx t10 screwdriver, and a usb key to boot from.

5. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Wow... did someone rip off the code on the way to the disc pressing factory? The damn game went gold like... yesterday.

6. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

BTW the red ring is a overheating issue :p

I say let the consoles get some flak

7. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Yeah I briefly mentioned this in the COD5 PC delay thread.

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Piracy on consoles??!?!

/*sticks head in sand*/

Nope, nothing to see here, move along...........

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The 360 really doesn't need a modchip. You can flash the cdrom firmware just like a mobo and there you have it a modded 360.

10. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I know it's overheating issue.

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Ow noes the 360 is dieing :s

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Maybe... Maybe not...

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Isn't that because nobody's been bothered to crack the PS3 because there's nothing worth playing?

*ducks*

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Can anybody tell me what is "QTF"??

So, they can now have an excuse for an eventual poor sale?

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, but it's still something that average Joe Public won't know how to do. It still makes 360 pirating harder than PC pirating.

But anyway, I thought a lot of zero-day releases (or even -20 day releases like this one) either came from the disc pressing factories or from stores who get stock in early for release day.

If games companies want to stamp out piracy, focus on the source of the problem (pre-release leakage), not on those people who bought the game and are therefore actually supporting the games companies.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

QFT - Quoted For Truth

17. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Ok, it's been leaked but i bet the percentage of xbox360 owners that have a chipped console and are also capable of burning the disc correctly is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Personally i've got the Pc version of the collectors ed. on pre-order, wanted a little pip-boy figure since i first played the originals :)

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Nail on the head. To all these people who are saying developers have egg on their faces, they don't. I don't think one ever said there was no piracy on consoles, because they're not stupid (for the most part). What they said is they don't develop for PCs because there is a high amount of piracy. Yes there is piracy on consoles, but it's nowhere near as high as on PCs.

19. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

So much for pirates just being PC gamers. Once the game companies stopped making games for PC, the pirates just moved on to the next platform. It's kind of funny actually.

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

How ironic, if this were PC the dev would be doing an interview saying it is killing PC and is why they are now focusing on console. Now that it is the 360 the say "No Comment" and try and brush it off.

BUT, the fact is guys, the rate of piracy on PC dwarfs consoles, so devs do still have a point.

Tags: Add Tags