1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout 3 Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 4 Aug 2008.

1. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I cannot wait. To be honest, if it was just Oblivion with guns, I'd play it till my hands bled anyways. I've never played a Fallout game before, and I'm sure this one will get me into the franchise. And yes, I have already warned my wife of Fallout and Spore.

2. Luukas

Luukas What's a Dremel?

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Thanks, sorry, missed that reply.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

smells like another bioshock to me. i'll be avoiding.

5. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Smells like one of the best games from last year eh? ...I can see why you'd be avoiding that. Also, Joe, you named your character after several chipmunk siblings?

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

newer played Fallout but if it reminds me just a bit of the elderscrolls, it becomes a must. i love the free world and the many individual choises, there is nothing better than a personalized game

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if thats your idea of one of the best games of last year then you really dont play many games.

bioshock was a piss attempt of systemshock for the console masses.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Actually bioshock is HEAVILLY influenced by fallout. But again, FO3 is a RPG and bioshock is a fps. Graphics now are much better than the last preview. Let us hope it will match the previous FOs.

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

just read the review on eurogamer. I think the reviewer is too much on FPSs games, so i guess he was looking for something with more action. By the looks of the trailers 9also found in there), the game lacks some better animation. But at least to me, this is not a HUGE downside on a RPG.

When FO first came the graphics (despite beutifull) seemed all washed out. But twas ok, after all it's a post apocaliptic world. I was not expecting to see some "loco roco" like colors.

You can't see much in the trailers, but i liked them. Let us hope for the best!
    *crosses fingers*

10. Sublym3

Sublym3 What's a Dremel?

Thanks BT my faith in Fallout 3 has be restored... Now just to decided if i am going to pirate it or import it and risk a ~$2000 fine... hmmm

(Sucks to be in Australia)

11. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i couldn't agree more.
    Oblivion
    bioshock
    fallout3(?)

Good PC games striped out so the menus and inventories can be accessed by joysticks, dumbed down so casual gamers can play them on a console without sulking that it's too hard.

Pretty much ruined.

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

didnt like either Oblivion or bioshock so ill probably avoid this (or find a demo) ill get back to diablo 2 until 3 comes out

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ughh.... the only part i'm worried is the combat. i saw the trailer from E3 and its the somewhat-turn-based-paused-while-u-shoot kinda thing... so its not really real-time. i could be wrong tho, but i didnt like what i saw :(

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's optional. You can use that, or you can go real-time.

16. wetworks

wetworks What's a Dremel?

Regarding the lack of restrictions in available quest, that sounds really awful. This will mean that the surrounding characters does not really respond to your actions. One of the great things in the previous fallouts was that when you did something, the world around you changed, and npcs attitude towards you changed. Actions had consequences, and like in the real world not every consequence is obvious.
    Making every quest available to anyone is just plain foolish. I mean, who the hell would hire the aforementioned serial-killing cat-butcher to keep the peace. That, to me, is as immersion breaking as levelscaling (which i am glad is sorta out).

The previous fallouts managed to almost have a living, breathing world despite being set in a nuked out wasteland, in great part due to the aforementioned consequences.
    Without those, i fear that this incarnation will turn out to be a stillborn radioactive slug.

17. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

Totally agreed. Morrowind as well as the Jedi knight games sucked for this very reason and as soon as I heard who was doing the new Fallout, I knew they would break it too. Now areas biased to hard/easy hardly sound any better...

18. scuzzphut

scuzzphut perfectly normal

this game wasn't even on my radar before I read this review. Now I'm interested - gah! More wallet-emptying shenanigans

19. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

Bioshock was an overrated and repetitive game but with pretty graphics.

Tags: Add Tags