1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Falsely accused of littering!

Discussion in 'General' started by pranks7er, 3 Feb 2010.

1. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i have been falsey accused of a littering offense in my town, i recieved a letter in the post stating that my car had been reported and the driver was seen throwing out litter namely a cigrette butt onto the ground.

Now the issue is i do not smoke, i never have smoked and never plan too, so this obviously is case of mistaken idenity, also i was not carrying any passangers, i have to respond in writing but this will be seen as contesting the fixed penalty and could lead to court, im not going to pay £60 for something i didnt do and im very against.

There is no CCTV evidence as i asked the local police to check the cctv system and they informed me it is actually switched off, but any of you legal minds may be able to help as i can prove with my ,edical records i im a non smoker, also is there any tests a doctor can do? also i could have hundreds of character references wrote to confirm my statement.

Whats the chances of this being scrapped as i have commited no offence.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I would think quite high considering they seem to have no evidence whatsoever. It's up to them to provide evidence that you have committed the offence, not you to prove that you haven't (at least until they provide evidence first).

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The letter sounds dodgy in the first place. The police would never fine you without some pretty good evidence backing it up. You should note that phishing, these days, is moving to smail mail for increased credibility. Some of their attempts are actually pretty sophisticated.

So ask yourself first: does this letter smell phishy?

• If it asks you to pay money to a given account, or to call a given number to make a payment, it is phishy.
    • If it asks you to supply your personal details it is phishy.
    • If it asks you to call a number to dispute the claim (which will then proceed to ask you for your personal details), it is phishy.

Do NOT call the number on the letter. Do NOT visit the supplied website; do NOT e-mail the supplied address. Instead, look up the contact details of whatever agency this letter purports to come from up in the telephone directory or Google for the official website. Then ask them if the letter really came from them. Best course of action is to take the letter to your local police station.

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

unfortuanlty the letter is real i checked it out, it is actually the council issued it the police laughed and said their officers not so petty basically the police man said take em to court!

they have shot themselves in foot stating cig butt as i dont smoke it would have been different if they had stated paper or general litter and not named a certain type of litter

5. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

So, they claim, with no evidence, that you, a nonsmoker, threw a ciggy butt out of your car?

Take em to court, ask to see their evidence, and then pull out your trump card, the fact you don't smoke.

Watch the judge facepalm at them for it and dismiss it.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Bit-Tech. It's like yahoo answers, except it actually answers your question, and does it really well.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Can we get a viewing for the court date?

I'd love to see someone facepalm in a court.

8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Innocent until proven guilty, they have no proof. Dont pay the fine, tell them you will see them in court and watch the case die before your eyes.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^ Win = +Rep.

10. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Does it give a date and time? If you can prove you were elsewhere then you're sorted. Chances are though that it'll get dropped if you contest it, it's not worth their while to bother going to court over a £60 fine unless they're 100% sure they can win.

Moriquendi

11. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Sorry to revive a dead thread and all but I thought this might be useful.

Your doctor can prove that you don't smoke if they get really pedantic about it. So I'd contest it - councils are pretty petty these days.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Go to court... tell them it wasn't you, and that you don't smoke, and could you please furnish the court with some evidence? When they don't, you walk away simple. I'd be damned if I pay £60 for an offence I didn't commit.

Any news on this yet?

13. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Do they have the cigarette butt in question, if so you could always request that they DNA test it against your own DNA. If not then they witnessed the act without doing anything about it, leaving the litter which could make them negligent as well especially as council wardens are nothing more than civilians in hivis jacket.

14. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

DAMN DIRTY LITTERBUGS!!!!!!!