1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fan Connectors.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bluephoenix, 2 Apr 2007.

1. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I've been looking for the molex part codes for the 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors for a while now, and have indeed used the search, yet they still elude me.

anyone care to educate me?

2. Bluephoenix

still no luck after searching for 2 days....

anyone know where I might be able to find out? the help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Bluephoenix

nevermind, finally found the info.

they are three distinct parts

Female housing: Molex KK series Part No. 22-01-3037
    Crimp connector [3 inside each housing] : Molex KK series Part No. 08-50-0114
    Header terminal: Molex KK series Part No. 22-23-2031

hope you all find the info useful.

4. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Hi, had a hell of a time trying to find a supplier for these! Didn't think Rapid sold them, spent most of a day searching... RS carry them but you have to order 5+ or 10+ depending what you want, and they're overpriced -- same as maplin, at £1+ for the 4 pin molex plugs, and around the same for the 3 pin KK headers. (Maplin's molex plugs are suitable for use on the end of cables only - I was after PCB-mountable ones, and Maplin don't carry the 3 pin KKs at all).

Turns out Rapid DO carry them (ARGH!), they're hidden away under Cables & Connectors > Multipole > PCB Interconnect > 2.54mm Straight Header.
    Also PCB Interconnect > Disk Drive Connectors (I swear I searched for this -- Rapid, your search sucks!)

So, if you're looking to buy either Mate-N-Lok sockets or connectors (commonly called 'Molex plugs' - HDD power plugs) or the Molex 3-pin fan headers then both are available from Rapid (UK).

4 Pin plugs & sockets
    3 Pin headers
    3 Pin sockets (goes on the end of the fan cables)

Last edited: 20 Apr 2007
  5. Bluephoenix

I use digi-key since I'm across the pond, but the molex # is universal since they're the supplier.

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I have like 30 of the 3pin headers that are just desoldered from old (sometimes new) dead motherboards. It is always a good idea to salvage whatever you can from old boards, Stuff like the usb ports, serial ports, usb pin headers, headers in general, dip switches, and fan headers.

Most board's have at least 2 fan headers, and many have 3 or more. I use my butane torch lightly on the back of the board and the header falls right off. You dont have to worry about damaging the board, its already dead :thumb:

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There are lots of other makers of these and often a Molex number isn't quoted even if they're genuine Molex. Rapid do both Molex™ and the cheaper JYK™ range; Maplin sell them unbranded as '0.1" Series Straight Plug PCB Header' and '0.1" Series Socket Housing'; Futurlec call them '3 Pin .100" Straight Male Polarized Headers' and '3 Pin .100" Polarized Header Connectors', no brand given; but virtually every on-line parts supplier has equivalents.

"I was after PCB-mountable ones, and Maplin don't carry the 3 pin KKs at all" - BX96E

Last edited: 20 Apr 2007
  8. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

To clarify, those were two seperate statements, oops. I meant 4 pin Mate-N-Lok sockets for use on PCBs, AND as another point maplin don't carry th 3 pins ones at all ... but clearly they do! Thanks for that anyway! I'll bear those in mind if rapid ever go out of stock

Edit: OK which of you buggers bought them all :p

Last edited: 22 Apr 2007