1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fan control software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Throbbi, 24 May 2013.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ok, my fans are loud and there appears to be nothing I can do in the BIOS so I need something to control fan speed until a fan controller arrives on tuesday.

One major point though - not speedfan. I don't see why people swear by this program as I've never, ever been able to get any good results with it; all it does is turn off the CPU fan if it's dropped below 35% and of 3 fans connected to PWR and SYS headers it only effects one of them.

Any ideas or will I just have to wait?

EDIT: I should mention this is on a Gigabyte 990-AX-UD3 and I'm lead to believe that Gigabyte aren't too hot with fan header control.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've had a nose at the manual (I assume you mean GA-990XA-UD3?) and yeah, its very limited on what you an do with the fan speeds. You can set the CPU and System fans to "smart" mode, which I assume just speeds them up and down with the CPU temp, or leave them at full whack. It looks like the PWR_Fan header is just for monitoring the power supply fan speed as usual so your left with the two system fan headers.

I'd say wait only because Speedfan is the only fan control software I know :lol: It did work rather well when I had a Coolermaster V10 and a load of Sickleflow fans but it did take a lot of faffing to get it work properly.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should get yourself Noctua fans, and run at lowest speed. Even if you OC, you should be fine. Some or all Noctua fans comes with a 2x resistor add-on wire for giving your 3 speed (max, med, low), based on the wire you use.

Assuming your have a decent case, and not overclocking to extremes, it should be plenty even under your most heaviest load. Noctua fans are one the or the quietest fans you can possibly buy (hence the high price).

I always did this (ok, not always Noctua fans), and never had a problem. Fan controllers are a waste of money, in my opinion.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, I figured as much. Got a Lamptron 4 channel coming tuesday so it's just a little annoyance until then. :sigh: And yeah it's a GA-990XA-UD3, not whatever nonsense i put before :thumb:

I do find it odd that no one has managed to make a simple piece of software which just has a slider for each fan connected to the motherboard though. Surely it can't that difficult (says he who's never had a go at coding anything ever:lol:)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's actually extremely difficult This means even if you are really good in C++ with years and years of experience, it won't help you. You basically need to be the engineer that worked on the board, to know, and a lot of times, impossible (no way to communicate with the board).

The "easy" way to control a fan, is a software that communicate with the board driver (assuming its able to, and that it has a driver, and you need to know the documentation of the driver). Motherboards don't have this. Nvidia GPU and AMD GPU do have this (that is how MSI AfterBurner / EVGA Precision / etc, all work)

6. holbob

holbob What's a Dremel?

It's not speedfan that is the problem, it's your motherboard. You need one with pwm fan headers. I have 8 case/cpu fans in my case and speed fan controls them all (some are daisy chained).

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I figured as much. Only 2 of the 4 non-CPU headers are PWM bit even they don't get controlled. Oh well, there's a Lamptron FC6 in there now instead lol

Thanks for the input though.