1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fan controller *more help needed*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fuzzygoblin, 30 Jan 2004.

1. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

ok this is a realy noob question but need a circut for a fan controller to that will support me 80-mm led fans. can soem one please help me out i cnat fin any good guides PLEASSE :thumb:

Last edited: 30 Jan 2004
  2. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

bit tech to the rescue

http://bit-tech.net/article/52/

or is this not what you are looking for... they have basically every type of fan controller possible! cept for maybe thermal

3. fuzzygoblin

wow thanks for the quick reply that might be all i need, nice work, an again thankyou
    Edit: yep thats exactly what i needed thankyou very much

4. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

anything i can do to help :D :thumb:

5. fuzzygoblin

anything ?.. i could do with some money *wink**wink* :D

6. fuzzygoblin

i need some more help

http://bit-tech.net/article/52/4
    can someone tell me if the link above wil work with a potentiometer instead of a rehostat i want to use the first diagram in the link, is i want to use a potentiometer (thats all i can find in tasmania) will i need to adjust the circut at all?

7. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The problem is most potentiometers won't be able to handle the load of a fan. A rheostat can due to how the composition of the two (a pot is a basically a molded resistor, a rheostat is a coiled piece of resistive wire). No matter which nation you're in, it's pretty damn hard to find rheostats of the appropriate size, wattage and resistance without the rape-me-in-the-ass prices.

BUT you can follow this guide for using pots for fan control. The regulator used is fairly common, but you'll only be able to turn it up to 10.5v max. For something closer to 12v, see if you can find Mircel's MIC29152BT or MIC2941ABT, and follow the bottom two guides on this page.

8. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Cool. I should have a guide of sorts for my fan controller up soon. Im making it with 7805s (kinda ripping off the zalman FC design) and best of all it only has 4 small components per channel :)
    It only reaches around 10.5v max, but to be honest, ive never really noticed much difference in a fan running at 10.5v and one running at 12v.