1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fan Mod Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Alienhead, 15 Jun 2004.

1. Alienhead

Alienhead What's a Dremel?

I want to put a fan in the front of the new case i'm working on for looks. I will have other fans for cooling. Does anyone know how to drop the RPMs on a 2500rpm case fan to about 100 so that it is very slow moving.

2. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Question...why would you want to ? A 80mm or 120mm fan running at 100 rpm will move no air whatsoever. It may as well be off. 100rpm is about 2 revs per second...thats not gonna cool anything.

That being said, personally I dont think its even possible. I think it needs to have more power so it even starts...Its an inertia/momentum issue methinks.

I'm actually looking for a way to do something similar...I want to have a perspex tube containing liquid, and a fan/prop type device at the bottom turning it so it creates a whirlpool effect. Just gotta work out a way to seal it so it wont leak.

3. TMM

TMM Modder

most fans just stop after dropping below about 600-800 rpms

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

He said, he has other fans for cooling. This is for show.

Unfortunately, a regular fan wont do. They stall-out well before that. What you might want to consider is a stepper motor. Just attach the fins to the end of that.

5. Fargo_182

Fargo_182 What's a Dremel?

Do you people not read posts?

"I want to put a fan in the front of the new case i'm working on for looks. I will have other fans for cooling."

If you read the post you would know why he wants it to run at such a low speed, very simple idea here, this happenes all the time and has happened with my posts as well.

Read the posts gentlemen it requires no less brain power and prevents a stupid reply, making yourself seem like an idiot. the second paragraph helps answer a little bit...

Try your best to find a low torque fan, someone has to make one.

What if you took apart a fan took out the motor attached like a little motor from radioshack that uses like a 1.5V battery and see if it works.

6. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I did read the post...I was just mentioning that fact that it'll be completely and utterless pointless for cooling...I know he didn't want it as cooling...

Dont mind me...lack of sleep :duh:

7. Alienhead

Thanks for understanding, I tried to make my explination simple. Those were some good ideas.

If I take out the motor completly and just grease it up, there may be enough current from the other fans to keep it in motion.

I'll just have to do some tests. Thanks for the advise.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for a homemade water cooling reservoir? I was thinking about a 25 pack cd Spindle but any other suggestions are helpful.

8. Fargo_182

I don't know how good you are at pre fabbing, but have you ever seen how frictionless the harddrive ball bearingin the middle of the plate is?

My suggestion if you are up to the task is removing one of them, attaching blades to it, make it all pretty somehow and let the pull of the wind from the other fans you have (if its enough) to make it rotate very slowly like in those factory fight scenes from movies (you know what i mean) more or less like a windmill type idea.....

9. Alienhead

That was the exact look i'm going for. with a white Lazer LED behind it. But I don't understand about the ball barring. Is it in the center of the HHD?

10. Fargo_182

Yeah its the bearing that lets the plates spin at 5200 rpm-7200rpm and higher in the middle of the plates, if somehow you can remove the bearing, which isn't too difficult I have one put that in the case of the fan after you take all its guts out and like glue the fin casing etc. to that so it spins freely.

Looks like a crazy ass slow fan but actually has no motor and turns at whatever speed your airflow is...

seems like it would work in my head...i dont see how it wouldnt the fins are all balanced so i don't think it would be like bottom heavy unless you glue it on not centred...

...Playstation cd-rom that spins pretty good too

11. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

You could try using a strobe...if you get the flashing frequency right it can be spinning at full speed, but it would look like its spinning slowly.

12. Alienhead

That's another good idea thats worth looking into, thanks.

13. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

well, i'm not bothering with the fan comments, but as far as a res goes i'll see what i can offer. I take it you're looking for a container of some sort that can be adapted to watercooling rather than build one out of plexi or something? if so, you can do better than a cd pack cover. first, check a local hobby store for model car/plane/etc gas tanks, they're pretty solid from the looks of things (saw some old projects at procooling using those). or think tupperware, specifically the ones with the sealing lids, nice and watertight. or finally, get ahold of a nalgene (or similar) bottle from a camping store. not quite on par with an aquatube res, but it'll work just as well. and with bulkhead fittings i'd trust those containers a lot more than what you were thinking.