1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reddoguk, 8 Oct 2010.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

Last month i ordered something from Scan and got a free 92mm 4pin fan with the order.

Seeing as there was room in the front of my case i decided to throw it in to add a bit more intake.

There is a second 4 pin connector on my mobo, Sysfan 2. So i put it to that.

Now i'm pretty sure Sys fan 2 is controlled by the NB temp and is PWM.

Now here's the weird thing. My Mobo temp is 35C @ idle and the 92mm fan runs at around 750rpm.

If i go play a game for a while the mobo temp goes up to about 40-42C and the fan goes up to about 1200rpm, that's ok not too noisy.

Problem is it never falls back down at all, even when i leave it for hours. The reported mobo temp goes back down to 35C after a few minutes but the fan doesn't respond to the temp drop.

All temps have been verified with Everest, HWMonitor and the bios reports same temps.

2. cpl

cpl Minimodder

What mobo and fan controlling software are you using? Is it the software that came with the mobo?

You could try a (free) third party fan contoller software to try to isolate the problem i.e. is it a hardware or software issue.

3. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

It's not software that'll be controlling it, it'll be the bios at the moment.

You could try 3rd party software - or the easiest, quietest and most thermo-beneficial solution is to buy a fan controller and connect all of your fans to that.

4. Reddoguk

I've pulled it out now cause it was doing my head in.

The mobo is a GA-MA770T UD3P. All the software i have used gets the fans and temps wrong.

For example AMD Overdrive reads CPU temp correct but lists the wrong rpm. It lists the rpm from the other fan in sys fan 1.

Same for the other fan. So its like this. CPU 24C 1212 rpm and mobo 34C 524rpm.

Thats backwards, its the other way round. Same goes for speed fan aswell it's reporting temps and rpm wrong.

Everest and HWM gets the Temp and rpms correct but all the fan control software doesn't for some reason.

Gonna order one of these bad boys from scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Frac...0-3pin-and-x6-Molex-Connections-from-x1-Input

Last edited: 8 Oct 2010
  5. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

Even more reason to put in a fan controller, cool your pc more effectively, quieten it down and then leave it.

PS.. there's nothing to say that a CPU temp of 24 degrees and a fan speed of 1200 is abnormal. The fan is working harder, therefore your CPU is cooler. The same applies to a high board temp with a low fan speed. The case fan isn't pumping air in so your board temp is up.

At the end of the day, 30c inside a chassis is PLENTY cool enough with all the components.

I'd stop worrying about a few degrees here or there and enjoy your pc :thumb:

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

A 7volt in line cable would sort it all out for about £1.50

7. Reddoguk

Nah it is wrong though with all the software i have used, so i'll just buy a controller.

[​IMG]