1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill this, PLEASE - n00b thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 12 Mar 2020.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jun 2020
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Probably, but not by much.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So do you have 3 out and 2 in?

I prefer positive pressure myself, just 2x140 in and 1x120 out currently. I generally just go 2 in 1 out.

4. adidan

Ah right I see.

I would imagine so.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:eyebrow:

For actual useful input:
    There's nothing inherently wrong with a negative pressure setup. It's actually probably better from a thermal perspective, as you're evacuating as much hot air as possible. I would however, move the 2 intakes to the very front of the case to pull air in. If they're located that far into the case, they're not going to do a very good job of bringing fresh cool air in. They're more stirring existing internal air about.

I would also look to connect all the fans to your motherboard headers, to better control them dependant of temperature.

6. adidan

:p

That's an interesting question. Can those Antec fans with manual switches be controlled by pwm? If they can then I would expect you'd have to have them on max so they can attain that speed.

This is guesswork based on when I had a P183..

7. The_Crapman

A quick look shows the tricools max speed to be 1200/1600/2000 on the 3 settings. Maybe go with the middle one as around 1500 is when most fans start to get noticeable/loud. If you only have 4 fan headers to use, maybe set 1 of the exhausts to just run at 1200, keep it in check. You would likely need to play with the fans profiles a little to find which suits you best in terms of noise: performance ratio.

8. adidan

I'm sure the low/high setting little boxes were attached to each individual fan that were screwed inside the case, some (all?) accessible from outside (iirc one was near the i/o shield).

Best ask @The_Crapman as he has it now although i'm not sure any fans were in. :happy:

9. The_Crapman

I'm too crippled to lift it out the box :hehe:

They're only 3pin fans so it will just be voltage control, with the switch limiting the max rpm.

adidan likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

If you plug the 3 pin (or 4pin) fan connector into the motherboard, you don't need to use the 4pin molex as well, it will get power from the motherboard.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Fan connectors can get a bit confusing. To simplify things, a fan will have either (or both) the latching connector (small) or the Molex peripheral connector (large). Every fan needs only one power source.

[​IMG]

Some fans (like the Tri-cools) have the pictured two-way Molex connector that allows daisy-chaining, which is what I do with my case fans. One fan is connected to the motherboard via the small latching connector, and the other two fans are connected to the first fan via Molex.

Daisy-chaining has a couple of disadvantages: you can't monitor or control the speed of each fan separately. I don't mind this as I have all my fans running at low speed, but some people prefer being able to control each fan individually.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Correct.
    However, the 4 pin variant will function the exact same way as a 3 pin if it is connected to a non PWM source.