1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juu, 30 Aug 2011.

1. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Hi hope someone can help..

My Zalman z9 Plus case arrived today, and before the rest of my build components turn up I want to sort out the fans. Is something like this OK?

[​IMG]

Anything I should change around? Makes the most sense in my head this way but there is only one intake :duh:

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd have that bottom fan blowing upwards for sure! It will drag in nice cool air from the bottom of the case, onto the GPU and up into the CPU area.

Also, your GPU will be sucking air up, rather than pushing it down like the red arrows imply.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You've got that a little wrong in my opinion mate.

Firstly, the Twin Frozr III card arrows are incorrect. The card pulls air onto the sinks and exhausts out the back.

With that in mind, the case fan on the deck, next to the PSU should be blowing air onto the GPU.

Secondly, the side mounted fan should be intake, again blowing fresh air onto the GPU, not exhaust.

You'll have to experiment with the Antec Kuhler and fan orientation to get best results. The way you have the Antec Kuhler and the case fan on the roof at the moment is a common setup and should give you good results.

Just fix those couple of case fans near the GPU and you'll be fine.

4. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Cheers guys, that's good if the GPU intakes and exhausts out the back.

Side mounted fan - Intake
    Fan next to PSU - Intake

Cheers :)

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep, that'll do it.

And when you're building, remember that airflow through the case is only as good as your cable tidying skills.

Keep the cables hidden behind the motherboard tray where possible and you'll get as clean an airflow as your chassis will allow.

6. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Another thing to bear in mind is that hot air will rise so i like to try and always put at least one fan in the base of the case and possible raise its feet to allow a better airflow under the bottom. At the minute i have a Raven RV02 sat on 4 thick books and this works nicely, unfortunately its look leaves a lot to be desired

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Are you sure about that? It's not a closed chassis so I assumed it just blew air any which way it could :D I'm glad to be proved wrong though.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You're correct in that it's not a closed chassis, however it's the same with my Asus Matrix GTX 580 cards... The fans push air onto the heatsinks and whilst the air is free to escape through the open chassis, the majority of the air comes out the rear. My hand can confirm this when I put it down the back of my case during a gaming session. :)

Plus, if he's set up the airflow correctly, the heat will want to escape with the flow of air i.e. out the back or up the top. Either way, win win. :thumb:

9. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Does the PSU not suck air in from the bottom and exhaust out the back too?