1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan voltage question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legoman, 16 Jun 2012.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Im after a small fo 40-60mm but heres the catch, it needs to be able to work well at 5V with around 1A. This is for a porject im planning currently. I did some testing on a pile of fans i have at home the 40 and 60mm fans i had didnt seem to be much cop. Tested a number from 0.11a up and they barely spun up. Has anyone had any experience with running fans at low voltages or any recommendations on small fans that would fit the bill?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

normally about 7 volts is the lowest I have found that fans will spin up and still work well.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I did the same thing to try and get a quieter fan running in a DVD/Hard Disk Player and I agree that with a quality fan around 7v is about the lowest start up voltage. Any less than that and although they might start often they wouldn't. I ended up with one of these Scythe Mini Kaze and run it around 10V. It hardly has any airflow though even at full speed.

4. legoman

Its proving to be a nightmare, Bizarely i had some luck with two fans both the wrong size totally for what im planning. i have a Coolermaster 200mm fan 12V and 0.42a that somehow spun up ok not moving at a vast rate of knots but it worked. I tried an old Akasa Amber series 80mm fan 12V and 0.54A. That spun up and was shifting a fair amount of air but made a lot of noise.

Thats confused me no end to be totally honest, i dont need high rpm on the fan just to help vent heat from the hdd so as the rest of the device doesnt overheat so a 40-60mm fan would be perfect

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

RS Components sell a range of 5V fans in various sizes, but they're not exactly cheap...

6. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

As a last resort you could use a boost converter. Even a simple voltage doubler should work. Why is it so important for it to run at 5v?

7. legoman

Its all running from a raspberry pi so the power source a USB hub only give 5V hence my limit