1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fancy a career in games journalism? Looking for experience?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Garside, 31 Oct 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

As you are no doubt aware the gaming section of bit-tech has picked up in recent months in terms of reviews, previews and news coverage. Due to our increased profile with the games industry I am now on the lookout for any aspiring writers who would like to review games.

This work would be on a voluntary basis, however I will be able to supply you with games (sometimes before they are released). For any aspiring writer this would be a great opportunity, with your articles going out to our growing readership.

If you're are interested send me an email ryan.garside@bit-tech.net with an example review and some information about yourself (no need for a full on CV).

Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

If only I could write creatively :(

3. Houck

Houck What's a Dremel?

I will start writing now :D I will not be able to do reviews, but Previews and other stuff.

4. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I used to write music reviews. [ego] Shame I'm too busy making games to start writing about them :hip: [/ego]

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Is there an age limit

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Any chance of some part time at christmas?

I am busy with Uni work but would love to do this at Christmas and any other holidays.

7. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

There is no age limit as long as you're old enough to play the games and you writing is of a high standard.

Regards to christmas - it is the busiest time so I am sure there is extra work available providing the writing is of high enough quality :)

8. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Hmm I'm greatly interested in doing previews/reviews of games but english is only my second language. I'd say my english is good, but I'm not sure/confident if it's up to this..(?)
    I think I'll take a shot at an example review anyways, to see how I preform :D

9. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I wrote a few reviews for Gamers Hell, but the organiation was too crap tbh.

I will defo be up for it at Christmas.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wouldn't worry too much. Everything goes through the editing process with feedback and rewrites. Mine get changed around and it's taken me many months to hone the skills.
    From what Ive seen of many Germans though, is that their english is as good as British peoples :p

11. bllt2bnry

bllt2bnry What's a Dremel?

I sent my application in!

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Couldnt we just get the games and not have to review them. :D If I could write something that makes any sense I would go for it but everything I write eventually degrades into gibberish.

13. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

Any requested length for the sample review? Can do anywhere from a 1 page brief layout, to a full spread in depth. Which would you prefer?

14. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Ideally send me three outlines of articles/reviews you would write and how you would go about writing them. I will then discuss with applicants which article I would like them to write and we will treat that as a sample piece.

It can be a review or a feature (an article related to gaming in some way).

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

hi I would like to enter as i would like to write for a mag one day however i can easly write down stuff to get my opinoin across but im not good with punctuation and i tend to get things mixed up and i dont have the best pc Is it worth me a 15 yr old entering also is there any charges or anythin or do we get the games free

Last edited: 2 Nov 2006
  16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I might give it a go as it's something I've always wanted to do. However, I don't know how much piece and quiet I'll get from my young Nephew (2½) and Niece (1½) in order to do it.

:idea: I could always use it as an excuse when someone asks "can you watch the kids?" - "No, I'm working" :naughty: .

It'll also give me more of an excuse to spend time gaming :thumb:.

I got Neverwinter Nights 2 last night, so I might write about either that (after a bit of a play of course) or N3 on the 360 (which I've nearly completed, 3 characters to go).

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah, the days of being a game reviewer. Good fun, tbh, but be wary - after a while of cramming through games to get them done, ye may be jaded...

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thats one of the big reasons why I want to do it :p An excuse to game.

Unfortuneately I'm at uni so I can't really, and as I've said previously, I suck at writing articles and stuff.

19. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

is there a specific country that i need to be living in or can i live on a remote island? where should i live if i wanna try for the job?
    thanx.

20. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

I dont know if the hours are anything like writing the games, but that means late nights at the end of projects.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.