1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

You know what, It did seem to be very fast, but I look at it this way, I play L4d most nights so i have hundreds of hours played for £25 I'd be hard pushed to name that many (more expensive) games that i've had more bang for my buck with.
    I'll HAPPILY buy l4D2, if i get even half as much fun out of it, It will be well worth the money. Hell I'll even commit to L4D3 in 2010 right now.

Valve has unfortunately set an expectation for free content. Thats what Little Johnny whineypants has come to expect.
    Appreciate it when you get it, don't go in a huff when you don't. The community will be swimming in user made stuff soon enough.

2. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Personaly, If I created a game, and I hosted and was paying for the forum, I can't honestly say that i would let people bad mouth all over it.
    Its like handing a mugger baseball bat so he can rob you more efficiently.
    Constructive criticism is a different matter of course.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I do find that approach interesting, as it's shooting yourself in the metaphorical foot. Banning people might stop discussion on your own forums... but there are still lots of forums out there where Valve have no say... and as Bioware proved recently, the internet can create a raging storm out of a badly handled PR issue.

Yeah, I've not played a great deal online... two campaigns and a bit... I'm hardly the greatest FPS gamer in the world and I've got a lot worse since real life bit a large chunk out of what little time I did get for gaming. So, yeah, there we are. :)

4. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Though to be fair, If you look at what EA did to Battlefield 2 and 2142, when they released the paid for expansions, It fragmented the community into those without the expansions, those with all the epansions, or those with some expansions. Not a good thing.

So I agree there is another side to the coin

5. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I find it surprising that people are surprised by valve moving on to other projects so soon after release. I'm still waiting for some decent content for Day of Defeat Source....

6. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I'll buy it. I still play L4D but it does seriously need some more content now, I don't mind paying for new content and I don't care if it's "compatible" with L4D, when I'm playing a new level it will only be compatible with those people who've paid for it, so who cares how it's structured!

Well done to Valve you're supporting those who want to keep on killing the hoard and still live in the real world :)

Some people spend so much time in their virtual world they forget how things really work out there (Especially in a cross platform world!!!!!!)

7. knowle rohrer

knowle rohrer New Member

bah your all spoiled

all i play is css....

where the fudge are my updates and free content?

your all spoiled

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I'm on the boycotter's side. They should make it a update for excisting L4D users and sell as 'new' for new users. What is going to happen is, L4d is basically going to be what the title of the game is, left for dead...

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've joined, I was incredibly surprised to see the trailer at E3 and thought it was very un-valve like to release a sequel this soon. Think about it, how long did it take to release HL2: Ep 2? ****ing ages, and that's just an episode! Look at games like TF2, CS: S, there is loads of extra content going in there. What's been released for L4D? A few fixes and the survival mode.

Here's a nice thought:

Scrap the crappy new characters, that means no new VO work and now new models
    VO work can take a very long time and can be very expensive, so cutting out that will cut down the costs considerably

No new music, again, will cut the cost, L4D doesn't need new music

All it needs, is new levels, new lobby system (especially on xbox live, it's not like they couldn't have gotten this right the first time anyway) and a few fixes. That's not really a whole lot more than they've done for the likes of TF2.

If they really do need some money to recoup costs, then release it as premium DLC, I'd rather them go back on their promise of not having to pay for any content (so long as not every bit of content is premium) than go back on their promise of supporting the game post release.

10. Goty

Goty New Member

I may be a little out of the loop, but what content exactly did Valve not deliver?

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

gamers more than any community i've experienced love a good moan

L4D2 will be good, L4D was good, the support has been fine.

most other companies would have released survival mode as a purchasable DL, Valve release it for free and everyone complains! lets face it whatever they do someone is always going to whinge
    imo of course.....

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

L4D2 is just a cash cow IMO.

13. smilinrat

smilinrat New Member

Whiners.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm surprised noone has drawn parallels between this and the Vista / Win 7 debacle. Oh, I just did... :)

15. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

The main point is that the community will be split between L4D and L4D2.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Vista's been out longer than a year. ;)

17. sear

sear Guest

It's really quite simple.

Left 4 Dead was a huge success on the Xbox, and still sells quite well. However, Microsoft does not like substantial downloadable content, especially not free downloadable content (you've seen how hard it's been for Valve to release the Team Fortress 2 updates on Xbox 360; it's because Microsoft wants them to charge for it). Microsoft likes new games, because new games make more money. My guess is that Microsoft instantly went to Valve after the first game was a success and said "look, we'll support you financially if you get to work on a sequel" or something similar.

It's business. Valve is a great company but it is not a perfect company. There are bugs in all of there games that have gone and will go unfixed, they will make decisions that the community does not like, they will forget about their old games as the sequels come out. That's the way of things when you need to keep bringing in money; supporting a minority of players after years is just not feasible. While I find the Left 4 Dead 2 announcement a bit sudden and a bit too soon, I think a lot of players have been spoiled with regards to the content Valve offers; to some degree it's Valve's own doing, of course, because due to their track record, their customers now expect tons of post-release support and content updates as standard. Frankly, the first Left 4 Dead always seemed a bit content-lite to me (I don't own it, just from what I have seen/read), and I've never been a huge fan of multiplayer-only games, so Left 4 Dead 2 does seem like the better buy to me.

18. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

i'll happily pay for it, got more then my monies worth from L4D before even survival was added

19. clx

clx New Member

Azrael, thats because vista would have to be good for that analogy to work.

Anyway, before that potential flame war catches fire...

Valve stated there would be updates for l4d (google fails me at the moment) yet when they did have some content to give the players it was delayed and delayed. Then finally when it was a massive let down. Im not talking let down in terms of game play, i loved survival mode. Im talking about let down in the time spent compared to the finished product. The much hyped Survival Mode only actually had 1 new map, every other map looked like it was taken from the original map and had a few metal fences and cupboards placed to block your path...
    Then it turned out it was that! you load up any of the maps appart from lighthouse and use cheats to explore, you will find that the game loads the entire level, which is a rediculous waste of resources. and the modifications look like they have been done by an intern at the weekend. Me and my friends even found the invisible hit boxes of the unbroken bridge in the train yard on the day of release. The whole release, while being fun to play for a while, stunk of corners cut and lack of the usual Valve polish.
    And now to address that and make the game highly polished and more up to date... you must buy a whole new game.

20. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

No offense mate, but i can clearly see you had just played single player game?... totally not the way this game is meant to be played, pls give a try to the multiplayer and you will find out what's the game we all have being praising.

The offence part its because i LoL a lil bit :blush:

cheers :D

Tags: Add Tags