1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

no it was just a general remark to everyone getting really worked up about it because in the end getting worked up over something so irrelevant is well pointless. Again its a game its not like it matter. Again just wait until it becomes a price you would be willing to pay instead of just bitching about a company thats doing what any other company would be doing and is to make money. They are not there to do everything free or make people who are well acting like children happy, they need to stay in business to produce better games, this L4D2 could just be a way of recovering their budget to bring out more quality games.

2. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

lol, CSS totaly owns 1.6
    but this is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us all over again
    when they changed usd to euro last year they lost alot of customers
    for me the change was 30% more EXPENSIVE for a game for crying out lound.
    i wont buy ANYTHING unless they FIX THE PRICES...

and they do censor the post on steam forums, thats a fact, just type something about the USD to EURO convert, and it will be deleted or closed, and you might be banned to

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It's not a case of being cheap like you keep saying. It's a case of being betrayed by a company the majority of PC gamers point to (bar blizzard) as the one company doing great things for this platform. And this isn't a case of "oh we had assumed free stuff because it was Valve, give us free stuff", it is a case of them PROMISING (as shown in the video) the exact content now being released separately.
    It's people that have invested a great deal of time in the community, only to have it torn apart for a cash in.
    It's very personal to many gamers, as the ONE company they thought was on their side has now been downranked to the likes of EA.
    It hurts like a bitch, and thus we moan about it.
    Obviously it isn't personal at all for you, and to you it is just a game. It would be nice however if you could understand the value others put on a single company being above the rest, and how crap they feel when their naivety is exposed.

stonedsurd likes this.
  4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just a touch of unreality and melodrama in there, I think. Gaming is a huge part of my life - more so I'd wager than it is for anyone else on these forums, but even I wouldn't claim that Valve are betraying our trust or sabotaging communities or anything. It's a dickish move to be sure, but lets try and keep a little perspective. They are a company after all - this is what they do.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Maybe so, but they made promises and kept "assuring" us of things to come and didn't deliver, and still continue to say stuff is coming but refuses to say what or when, yet they're more than happy to let us know that a new game is coming for 50$ while we can't even play L4D properly sometimes due to the shitass lobby system, people quitting every 30secs from a game, major bugs, etc.

Can't exactly say it makes the whole new sequel after 6 months any easier to swallow -.-

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

l4d game out in november last year. l4d2 comes out in november this year.

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to emphasise the non monetary aspect. Even Gabe said "this move was against the character of the company." http://tinyurl.com/pv3f4u

But you're right, they are a company, and that is what they do. I just don't think a lot of people viewed them as such until now. Thus the melodrama and the line on naivety. Valve is my Monkey Island, I feel compelled to go on about them, however I think I'll leave this topic with this analogy I saw on a youtube comment (of all places);

"So today I went to Burger King...
    ...and ordered the number 4 combo. It seemed like a pretty good deal for the price. However, as I ordered it, the cashier told me that only the burger was currently available and I'd have to wait a little while to get my fries and drink. Strange, but whatever, I thought. I'll just munch on the burger until they're ready to give me the rest of my combo.

The burger itself was pretty good, and after a few minutes the cashier beckoned me over as expected. However when I got there, instead of handing me the rest of my food, she told me that I should now try out combo #7. I told her that I didn't want combo #7--I already bought combo #4 and all I wanted at this point were the things that were supposed to go along with it in the first place.

At this point she started arguing with me. She kept telling me that combo #7 actually contained more food than what was in the combo I originally ordered. When I told her that I just wanted my fries and drink, she claimed that I could get those by ordering combo #7. What the hell? Why would I want another meal when I had just eaten one (minus the promised side dishes, of course)? By some strange twist of logic, she seemed to think that mere availability of another, completely separate but similar combo meal somehow made up for the fact that I didn't get what was supposed to come with the one that I actually paid for.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the place. The strangest thing, though, was that some of the customers seemed to be perfectly fine with all of this and were actually arguing in the cashier's favor. "Why are you whining so much?" they asked. "I bought combo #4 just like you did, and now I'm delighted that I'll be able to get everything it contained--and more--with combo #7!" At that point I was simply at a loss."

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

sorry but that analogy is flawed. you bought a complete product at the time of l4d's release. when you bought the combo at BK, they are obligated to provide you with the rest of the combo - you enter into a contract with the restaurant for them to give you the fries and drink, as that is what is advertised at the price.

at NO POINT was l4d advertised with the promise of ANYTHING concrete to come out for free afterwards - the only thing being offered at the price was the game in its current specification, and nothing more. only vague statements such as 'we'll be releasing free content' were made at the game's release, and legally these carry no weight whatsoever. you did not buy the product on the assurance that anything else would be supplied to you afterward, and any impression you got is just that - an impression. sure, it might seem misleading, but that's the legality of it.

9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

What if they make the games connected somehow? That way you'd really need both of the games to enjoy the deal to its fullest. Would be a lucrative deal for Valve and also offer the community what they wanted.

10. CardJoe

It's worth pointing out that L4D HAS had free content come out for it too - Survival Mode, continued support, mod tools.

11. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

They've already said L4D1 is likely to be included in L4D2.

It's the ones who don't want to, or can't afford to upgrade, that will be left behind.

12. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

If valve wants to waste their time on stupid zombie games fine but their core business is suffering for it. hl2 episode 2 came out in 08 I think now it looks like episode 3 won't be out until 2010 how stupid is that and hl3 who knows when that wil be done remember duke nukem.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The HL team and the L4D team are entirely different groups of people - What L4D teams do is in no way related to what the HL team does (Or, as it looks, doesn't) do.

Want to bitch about Episode 3? Email Gabe Newell and see what he tells you.

Valve aren't about to go under because Episode 3 isn't released ASAP - They have steady income streams from Steam, and surprise surprise, other games. :/

On a related note: I emailed Chet Faliszek. Looking forward to his response, if I get one.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2009
  14. CardJoe

Chet is a lovely guy - it's really cool that the Valve people get back to their fans. I remember when I was in Uni and Marc Laidlaw responded to me about how to get started in writing for games.

15. liratheal

The 'interviews' (they're really more like informal chats for the most part) I've seen him taking part in have painted him as a decent bloke, but hey. Only one way to find out for certain :D

16. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

It was valves intention with episode gaming to get games out sooner rather than later and they fell flat on their face on that one. I didn't say they would go broke making mindless games like L4D! they have plenty of money but too many irons in the fire if you know what I mean!!

17. DarkLord7854

You mean the content that was promised to be in the game at launch? Yea it was nice of them to add that, I mean, it was only promised to be at launch and then turns out it wasn't.. granted the SDK still isn't officially released even though the store page says "Source SDK" on it since before the release date :rolleyes:

Then they also finally added the Stats promised since before launch recently, which was nice in a way.

In reality, the only content added was 1 gamemode and 1 map, of which nothing really substantial was made from, it's just a simple little mod of a couple cvar changes and an extra HUD element for the timer and that's more or less it.

So in reality, they delivered updates that should have been IN the game AT launch, though they're still missing the SDK.

In the meantime, bugs are still rampant and TF2 gets 2-3x as many bug fixes than L4D, and the lobby system is still an epic fail and horrendous.

Sorry, meant announced 6 months after L4D release.

18. liratheal

I know what their intentions were (are?) - And I agree that they've royally buggered it up.

However, since you use very little punctuation I'm having trouble understanding your meaning using your posts.

EG: "hl3 who knows when that wil be done remember duke nukem." To me, that reads as "Who knows when HL3 will be out, remember what happened to Duke Nukem?" which I interpreted as "Valve are cocking around, not working that hard, 3D Realms did that and have since pretty much gone down the tubes - Is that what Valve are headed for?".

Valve, technically, had little involvement with L4D, as they purchased the studio that worked on the game (Turtle Rock Studios) ~9 months before release. Nine months in a development cycle that started ~ 14 months before isn't that long.

As for the 'too many irons in the fire' - I beg to differ. They have different teams working on different projects. Steam, HL, TF, L4D/L4D2 are the four main 'current' titles/software that they, presumably, have people working on. From what I can gather, the same team behind L4D are behind L4D2 - But I'm not 100% on that.

SDK is in beta at the moment, and should be out some time in the near future - Although, since the primary focus is, apparently, L4D2 the SDK could get temporarily tanked :/

19. DarkLord7854

The SDK was promised one week after launch in November. Recently Valve made another assertion that it would be out "couple weeks" after the Survivor update, and now they say "a week after E3" which would mean this week, and we've only got a few days left.

Either way, SDK or not, matchmaking does not support in any way shape or form custom content. So it's not like even if they did release it, the game would work, because it won't until they release the mythical "matchmaking 2.0" which will most likely be a giant piece of crap considering what a failure the current matchmaking is.

20. liratheal

I'm not trying to defend their pathetic attempts at dlc, I just couldn't tell from your post if you were aware of its supposed launch sometime soon :p

At this stage, I think it's probably best to assume 90% of 'promised' L4D content is on a shelf somewhere.

Tags: Add Tags