1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fans for my case, and the antec big boy 200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wira, 14 Mar 2011.

1. Wira

Wira Spoderman

So I just got a bitfenix survivor core case. It only came with one top mounted 200mm exhaust fan, so I got a 120mm sharkoon silent eagle 1000 for the back exhaust and thinking the antec big boy was just a normal 200mm fan I got that for the front intake.The antec didn't seem to fit properly, so after a tiny bit of research I discovered its made to uniquely fit in certain antec cases (thx scan for not bothering to mention that -.-).

As I got the case I noticed you can mount two 120mm fans as the front intake instead of a single 200mm fan. I'm not sure if I should go for one 200mm fan or two 120mm fans. 200mm fans seem to be quite rare, and apparently they're quite inefficient.

so, to get to the point. Single 200mm intake or 2x 120mm?

I would probably get 2 more sharkoons like the one I have in the back fo the case.

2. chris66

chris66 Member

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

Depends on your presise needs. If it is pure airflow and noise is no consideration then look at the stats for airflow usually measure in CFM, if the 2 120mm fans total CFM add up to more than the single 200mm fan CFM then go for that.

If noise is the main issue, less fans usually mean less noise, but again check the specs carefully, 2 ultra quiet 120mm fans may be more quiet than a noisy 200mm. I find anything advertised around 20 -30dB is audible outside the case but not too loud, anything under is almost inaudible and anything above is really loud.

4. stefan442

stefan442 Member

I have 2 x Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 running as intake fans on my antec 300.

I have a 120mm rear fan and a 200mm top mounted fan. Both the exhaust fans are the fans antec supplied with the case and come with 3 speed controller. I have them set to mid and the front fans off the mobo. The case is always cold to touch and temps of hardware is always way lower than i read anywhere on internet.

Arctic Cooling Arctic F12
    33.0 cfm
    22.0 dba
    1300 rpm

5. Wira

Wira Spoderman

I have had the same old acer computer for quite some time now and it's pretty noisy (I think), but I have absolutely no idea where on the DBA scale it is so I don't really know what I would find too loud, but if we just assume that I want max airflow under 30 DBA :thumb:

If I assume that I would put in 2 more of the sharkoon fans I have in the back, I would get about 72 CFM and they run at around 20 DBA, which is very quiet (I think).

The silverstone fan looks really nice, according to their factory specs it pushes 100 CFM at around 20 dba which is awesome. I guess I could either drill some mounting holes myself or I could use some double sided foam tape to stick it on (this seemed to be incredibly strong when I test mouted the antec fan). Only problem is that it's 32mm deep, the stock bitfenix 200mm fans are only 20mm deep so I don't think it'll fit :grr:

otherwise scan stocks a few different 200mm fans, all rated below 20 DBA and they all push around 70 CFM. I read the problem si that these fans have very low static pressure, so any kind of restriction to the airflow will cause it to weaken considerably.

Looks like I'll be going for a pair of 120's anyway ;)

the question just is, which ones?

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

One other thing to remember, is that for every 3dB you double the volume level. So two 20dB fans add up to 23dB of sound pressure. Easy way to determine the overall system sound pressure by adding components. Takes a fair amount of math (or use log functions to do it, which also means a fair amount of math), but you can come out to a resonable approximation doing this.

dB is a log function, is 30dB is 10x louder than 20dB. 23dB is ~2x louder than 20dB, 26dB is about ~4x louder than 20dB (2x as loud as 23dB).

A few dB doesn't seem like much...a 26dB fan doesn't seem that loud, but compared to a 20dB fan that is a HUGE difference in sound pressure (4x more).

7. Wira

Wira Spoderman

:jawdrop:

I'm kinda split between getting 2 more Sharkoon silent eagles,

or

a single one of these, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/205468

Only problem is I'm still not sure if this will actually fit, because the stock bitfenix fan is only 20mm deep and this one is 30. I did try and measure the space and got it to around 34mm, but I can't really know before I get it -.-

8. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Slight misinterpretation here.

Two fans would indeed produce a sound pressure level 3dB higher than one fan on its own, but it takes approximately 10dB for humans to perceive a doubling of "volume".

3dB is definitely noticeable, however.

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

True, human ears don't work linearly for sound preception. I guess the way I said it was misleading. 40dB would sound twice as loud as 30dB, 3dB is an actual doubling of sound pressure. A well trained human ear can hear the difference of 1dB, an untrained human ear can easily tell the difference of a 3dB change in sound.

10. Wira

Wira Spoderman

does anyone have any experience with the coolermaster 200mm megaflow fans?

Still not sure it would actually outperform two sharkoon silent eagle 1000's, even though it's factory specs are crazy. 100 CFM at 19 DBA, you wish CM.