1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans' Hopes of Doom Dashed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 24 Jul 2003.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

From Wired:

LOS ANGELES -- There was good news this week for Martian zombies and bad news for the people who love to kill them.

Doom III, one of the most heavily anticipated PC games ever and a virtual slaughterfest for the interplanetary undead, will not be released this year, the game's publisher said Tuesday.

Buried in video game publisher Activision quarterly conference call on Tuesday was that bad news for hard-core game junkies and others.

A decade ago Doom revolutionized PC gaming with its intense graphics. The latest game in the franchise, Doom III, has been the subject of heavy anticipation ever since creators id Software acknowledged the game was in development.

But when Activision's president, Ron Doornink, told analysts "for planning purposes, we're assuming Doom III will come out in the fourth quarter," he shot down those hopes.

Activision's fourth quarter is the period ending March 2004, meaning the game will not be on shelves for Christmas. As recently as last month, retailers like GameStop were taking pre-orders expecting a Nov. 15 release.

Full story here

Damn! :miffed:

Ah well - more time to save up for a DX9 card and processor upgrade I suppose... And theres always HL2 to still look forward to.

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Major shame but i'd rather them spend some more time on it and get it right than release a shoddy game, its got alot to live upto.

Lots more to look forward too though, personaly i can't wait for Deus Ex 2: Invisible War.

3. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

it either works but its late or it doesnt but on time

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.quakecon.org/

Doom 3 at quakecon! play 4 player fps multiplayer

5. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

dude..I want hl2 SO much more.

6. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

They're going to loose a lot of sales to HL2.... or maybe they're just frightened of going head to head with HL2....

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Or maybe they decided to let HL2 get released, whilst spicing up their GFX engine even more and then seriously kicking butt :p

Although I'm an id fan, and I love the Doom series, I have to admit that HL2 looks amazing and (from what I've seen) looks better than Doom 3.

The monsters look better in Doom 3 though, more textured and 'real' but the whole HL2 world environment looks awesome :jawdrop:

Tags: Add Tags