1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Fans spin, no POST, but problem is intermittent - advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dr_Horse, 12 May 2013.

1. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I built this rig about 5 years ago and the PSU is even older than that, so it doesn't really owe me anything, but would appreciate your thoughts on the below as I can't afford to replace it for a couple of months.

q6600
    NEO-F P43
    OCZ Stealth X-Stream 600W

When I turn it on the fans come on at full blast and stay on. I think I can hear the hard drives clicking as well but nothing else happens. If I turn it off at the wall for a bit and come back to it later, it sometimes boots normally (albeit asking me to to enter bios set up to set date/time etc) but this doesn't always work.

I've re-seated everything and tried booting with no peripherals etc, but I don't have access to any spares to test components individually.

I was wondering if the more experienced community members would suspect the PSU or mobo in this situation?

Many thanks.

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

If it's asking for you to set the day and time every time you unplug it the bios battery is dead for one. The battery should be a CR2032 and is fairly cheap try replacing it first, check your battery to be sure.

3. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Given its age it could be either PSU or Mobo? try the psu first.
    Any caps on the mobo look swollen ? Any smell from the rear of psu ?

good luck

4. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your responses.

Visually it doesn't appear anything is wrong, likewise for smells. When everything is unplugged it boots within 4 or 5 attempts. If USB devices are plugged in then it never boots.