Other FAO Gareth..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 23 Dec 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Mate, what was that password device you showed a long while back? I don't know why, but I continually seem to keep forgetting my passwords. I think it is because I have more of them than ever now (about 12 all told) and I am sick of resetting them only to forget them again the next day.

Ta. BTW - cheap would be good if yours is a very expensive one.

2. Vault-Tec

NVM ffs. Seems Blackberrys come with an app built in.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's called a Mooltipass Mini, but 't ain't cheap. Highly secure, though: the device itself stores the passwords in memory in an encrypted format, which can only be decrypted with the key on a bundled smartcard plus your four-digit hexadecimal PIN. You can hook it up to your PCs with the bundled software for delights including auto-fill in the browser, hook it up to your smartphone or other device that doesn't have any software drivers and it'll act as a USB keyboard to type the password in for you, and if that weren't enough you can hook it up to a USB battery and view the passwords on its screen. It's awesome.

If it's too spenny, another option would be a software-based password manager like KeePassX. Still pretty secure, but not as much.

There are also cloud-based managers like LastPass, but they're super-risky from a security perspective. I used to have a paid LastPass subscription, and switched to the MooltiPass Mini following yet another serious security vulnerability in LastPass' software.

4. Vault-Tec

Brilliant, thanks for the wealth of information :)

For right now I have just used an app on the Blackberry. I forgot that they are very business sort of orientated and thus come with great apps.. Then I opened Google. It is more like 30+ passwords I just entered FFS, no wonder I kept forgetting them ! I am using about 10 passwords, with none of them "linkable" of that makes sense. IE - if you had my Ebay password it would not work for Paypal. If you had my Waitrose it would not work with my paypal and so on. Forums I just use pretty weak passwords but I have much stronger ones on my Amazon and so on.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I like the look of that. I have 322 passwords!

Does the Mooltipass cause any problems with 2 factor authorisation?

6. MLyons

MLyons Half doge/ half dev Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think I was at 197 the last time I looked and they are all on lastpass maybe I'll ask santa for one. :p:

7. Vault-Tec

Christ, I thought I was bad lol.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I’m using keepass. There’s a plug-in for the major browsers to replace the built in password system with a keepass database. I use KeeFox with FF.

Using a Firefox account I sync addons and bookmarks to my devices and my keepass database is on both iCloud and OneDrive.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it shows up to the system as a human interface device: if you can connect a keyboard, you can connect the Mooltipass. You only need the browser plugin and/or standalone app for actually managing the passwords, not retrieving them - so it's safe for use even on public machines.

The only restrictions: there's only 1MB of storage, but that's a lot of passwords, and no password can be longer than 31 characters. Oh, and once your passwords are in there they're staying in there: you can dump an encrypted copy of the memory to restore to another Mooltipass, but if you want to migrate to a different password manager you'll either have to do it manually or buy a smartcard reader and use it to decrypt the memory dump. There's no easy "export as plain text" option - a deliberate design choice.