1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO: Mr Haz and other lawyer type people

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazy, 4 Aug 2002.

1. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Heh heh, well I run a couple of sites, and have 4 dedicated servers and am only 18 :) heh heh

You could always ask David and see if he will let you host on his connectiong ?

2. James[UH]

James[UH] What's a Dremel?

As the owner of UH Hosting, let me have my say:

We all make mistakes mate. Also no wonder the site was down, its a .co.uk not .com

PHP doesnt win no contest. In terms of what ASP and PHP can do, its very similar. The only reason people say PHP is better is because PHP was built for *nix. As im sure we all know to be a more secure, reliable, stable OS. Windows when used properly can also be as good. Microsoft maybe pap at times, but ASP isnt.

No site that does 4GB a month will need a dedicated server. Only if its doing such things as v CPU intensive tasks.

In reply to Alaric. When we hosted the CS/HL game updates, we had no idea how busy it was going be. In fact, the time while we did have them hosted, we did an amazing 36GB in just under 6 hours. We were simply not prepared for such a rush. So the site (my unique hardware) mirroring was pulled while the rush dies down. The b/w was increasing by the hour, the half of the US was waking up, probbaly would of done 100GB in 24 hours. Maybe more.

Anyway, we have a linux server now, mainly for shell hosting, bouncers, eggdrops etc. But we will have some hosting on it. Just a quick low down on what will be on it:

[edit] no pimping [/edit]

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Nope that wasn't us. Well it kinda is - me and James run them all.

That was www.unique-hardware.co.uk on our old host. We run our own host now - UH-Hosting - and moved www.unique-hardware.co.uk over for a little more control :)

And when your bandwidth peaks at 36gb in 5 hours for mirroring the latest CS patch and given we usually stick to between 10 and 20 gb per MONTH I think uniquehardware.co.uk's old hosts were well within their rights to pull thje plug :D I would ... and it was 3 months ago now. Time passes quickly !!!

Also in the ASP vs PHP argument - they are designed to be the same type of language from two different companies. They are aimed at the same level and same market. For some things I'm afraid ASP is better. For some things PHP is better. And some things which both are useless at, and equally good at.
    Remind anyone of AMD vs Intel ? Each good, both do the job, just a matter of user choice as to which to use :)

I will stick with Intel p4 / asp thank you very much. Just can't wait til we can go to .NET ...

4. Zoon

Well I'm 19, coming on 20. I have a stake in a webhosting company and a linux based shells (and php hosting maybe in the future) server with James (which is a Co-lo dedicated server).

I run / help run christ knows how many websites :) At least 5. And I spend far too much time on Tekforums. Post count nearly 5000 :eeek: Fun innit ?

5. George

George Bah

PHP ownz0rs ASP.

*notice the full stop :p

theres no competition.

as cold stone says, thats the bottom line. :)

.icecube

6. Zoon

In your opinion.

In mine neither is irrefutably better than the other :p

7. James[UH]

And im only 16 ;)

8. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Don't forget James has just left his previous post working as part of a Daily International News and Media Distribution company.

I hear the position is open to anyone who feels they can assist in dissemination of printed media to local communities, with wide opportunity for travel, intensive customer face to face interaction and the opportunity to receive a fully expensed BMX and Corporate Orange holdall.

9. James[UH]

:dude:

10. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

You all know that ASP 0wnz j00!

Nah really PHP is good for the n00bs let them pretend that there being 1337 hax0rs buy using Linux/Unix/FreeBSD ;)

Pfft.......

Im only joking btw, I can do both and as such I know that there many advantages and disadvantages of both :p

However all this Miscrosoft .NET rubbish MS is pimping is just that... rubbish.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2002
  11. Zoon

Actually .NET is good IMO - at least at the replacement for ASP level. As a whole programming interface I don't know much about it, but using it as a replacement for ASP seems to be good. Website development is accelerated due to the increased number of functions and objects. Making a form with validation now is such a doddle, for example. There is finally an object that file upload can be performed with.
    Loads and loads more I haven't yet got to use or look at properly either.

12. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I'd still have to say I prefer PHP :) Apart from the better efficieny, it's a lot easier to learn the basics off. If you know the principles of programming, you can learn PHP in your spare time in a month or two.

13. Zoon

ASP.NET is actually much faster than ASP, that's one of the things they wanted to address.

Soon as they finalise .NET server we may actually see ASP.NET on a few more servers round the net.

14. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I would at least wait a year before I even touch .NET after its gone final. There will be many broken things, security holes and general poorness they will have to fix :worried:

It is fast tho ;)

15. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

Not to mention excellent christmas bonuses :D

16. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Yeah man it bloody owns :) I just got my hositng company going again, and have amanged to move most of my free shell users from t0l.net onto that, my plan worked :) heh heh so am already covering most of the costs, and few more customers and I will be in profit (in only 3 days of the site being up).